Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Game level loading times

• Please log in to reply

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi

I was playing bf vietnam the other day and I wondered if a better graphics card would make the game load quicker or is it the cpu that determines how fast a game loads or what?

Thanks
Morfius

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The overall spec of the system as well as the demands of the game will dictate loading time.

I'd be very surprised if changing the graphics card made any different to the loading time of the game.

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I read on a forum that upgrading ram can increase game loading times by like 500% is this true

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I read on a forum that upgrading ram can increase game loading times by like 500% is this true

View Post

500% is probably an exaggerated figure :tazz:

But once again, it depends on the game in question but the general rule of thumb is that this is true up to an extent.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
The initial load time (from scratch) depends on your system as Neil pointed out...But installing more ram will indeed improve performance of the game.

If you have a reasonably fast system then your hard drive speed is a gigantic factor in the load time...I've heard that Raid configurations are practically instantaneous....I've been considering it myself...