Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Has Crashed!

• Please log in to reply

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
The system I’m running:

Windows 98SE
1.7 GHz Pentium 4
256 RAM
28+GB Hard-drive (mostly empty)

I was having problems with various games, which didn’t seem to be supported by my graphics adapter. One said it wasn’t compatible, one just booted me to Windows when I tried to play it, another one said there wasn’t enough video memory. The video card has three to four times as much memory then the system requirements. I figured I needed to update my driver for the adapter. Since the computer isn’t connected to the Internet, I gathered the following information on the adapter:

All-in-Wonder Pro PCI (English)
Manufacturer: ATI Tech-Enhanced
Chip Type: Mach64: Rage Pro
DAC Type: Internal
Features: Direct Draw 1.00
Software Version: 4.00
Current Files: ati2drae.drv, *vdd, *vflatd, atidvxae.vxd, atid32a

I went to the manufacturer’s site (www.ati.com) and found a driver at the following site:
(http://www.ati.com/s...n98drivers.html)
("Alternate Driver - 4.13.1.2655"

which I at least thought was the right one. It said it was for Windows ME, Windows 98, and Windows 98SE. (In the file itself, during the installation period, it says it’s for Windows ME, but make no mention of Windows 98, or Windows 98 SE.) I downloaded it, and since the computer is not connected to the Internet, I burned the download onto a CD-RW. I then put it on the computer I wished to update the driver on, and followed the instructions it contained. I first uninstalled “ATI Display Driver” from the Control Panel’s Add/Remove Program as they specifically instructed. I restarted the computer (as instructed) and installed the driver. Then once again I restarted the computer as they instructed.

During startup I got the following message on a black screen: “Windows Protection Error. You must restart your computer.” Every time I restarted it in Normal Mode it gave me the same message and could not complete startup. I then restarted it in Safe Mode. I right-clicked on My Computer and clicked Properties. In the System Properties window that came up I clicked the Device Manager tab. I “expanded” the “Sound, video, and game controllers.” I disabled all the items listed, and then rebooted. This time It successfully rebooted in Normal Mode. While some programs would work, no games would work, not even ones that would run before. So while still in Normal Mode, I enabled each item under “Sound, video, and game controllers” one by one, hoping to find which one was the problem, Windows has rebooted correctly when I disabled them. I was able to enable all but a hand full of the options listed. (All the items I had disable didn’t appear in Normal Mode, but those that I did I re-enabled except for those to be listed in the following. The other items do show up in Safe Mode however.) The following items would not allow me to enable them. They would freeze the computer whenever I tried:

ATI WDM AV Crossbar
ATI WDM Bt829 Pro Video Capture
ATI WDM TV Audio
Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer
Microsoft Kernel GS Wave table Synthesizer

I selected each of the above five listed items, and clicked “remove,” thinking that if I did that the drivers would reload after restarting Windows. When I restarted Windows it gave me the following message just before when it usually will load up the desktop and menu bar:

New Hardware Found (title of window)

ATI WDM Bt829 Pro Video Capture
Windows is installing the software for your new hardware.

While this window made it seem that Windows was reloading the drivers, it froze at that point and did nothing. I left it for five hours and it still did nothing. I restarted the computer and now it sticks at the screen where it says “Windows 98.” It just sits there as though Windows is still loading. I am able to restart in Safe Mode, but when ever I restart in Normal Mode, it freezes at the “Windows 98” screen.

What’s going on, and what can I do?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome Elvenwarrior2001! <_<

It looks like you just installed the wrong ATI driver. Boot into safe mode, and uninstall the ATI drivers using add/remove programs in the control panel, restart. To be safe I would also run driver cleaner to ensure the old video drivers are removed. Then install this driver, restart. The driver you installed 4.13.1.2655 technically supports your GPU, but not specifically the AIW card.

For future reference you can find the AIW drivers on the ATI site by selecting your OS and then selecting "Multimedia Center" instead of "Graphic Driver".

Let us know how it goes!

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Okay. I uninstalled all that I could (about 4 or 5) but the last one "ATI Display Driver" gives me an error messages saying it was unable to "intalize." There are no "details." Just a very simple message that says it could not "intalize." What now?

Also...assuming I get this uninstalled, should it then be able to reboot in Normal Mode? If not, do I install the Driver Cleaner from Safe Mode?

Also...the driver you told me to install is the same on I installed before. I'm positive. Same site, same number, same file size (10.50 MB).

I appreciate your taking the time to help me. <_<

Elven

Edited by Elvenwarrior2001, 07 November 2003 - 07:44 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You're Welcome! <_<

You installed driver 4.13.1.2655 , you need 4.13.2655 (there's no 1 in the middle).

Boot into normal mode and run Driver Cleaner. Reboot if instructed, then install the ATI driver. Good luck!

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I still can't reboot into Normal Mode. That last driver ("ATI Diplay Driver") won't uninstall. I get an error saying it can not "intalize." How do I deal with this? <_<

Elven

Edited by Elvenwarrior2001, 08 November 2003 - 02:52 PM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
go and try to remove the ati in add & remove in control panel again.
by what i see admin did give you the one ati says to use 4.13.2655
I had some problems with my ati card in windows 98 too I thought it was better to run the newest driver for the card I had I got upset and replaced the card with a other so I don't have to deal with it. <_< but come to find out it was not the card I put the card in a system I built for the kids running windows 98 and it working fine I'm using a older driver for it. It took me a while to find my notes on this I always write notes down when I have a problem so if I have it again I can see how I fixed it so you may want to try this driver if the one admin give you does not work right.
older driver if you can not uninstall that drive in add & remove try to uninstall it in hareware setting and reboot let windows put in one of its drivers then install one of the two me and admin gave you. let us know how thing are going
:D

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I tried to uninstall again and I got the same message again:

"ATI Uninstall (title of window)
Error initializing"

How do I uninstall it in "hardware setting?"

(BTW, what is the following: "VIA PCI IRQ Routing Miniport Driver - V1.3" Does this have anything to do with the video adapter?)

Elven

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
right click my computer then click properties in device manger click the + next to display adapters highlight the one in there then right click keeping your pointer on the highlight and then uninstall then reboot and install one of the drives me or admin gave you in earlier post
<_<

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Okay. I went there and unistalled it wall, but it still doesn't restart in Normal Mode. It also won't unintstall that last component, it still gives me the "Error initializing." What do I do next?

Elven

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm pretty sure it's still your video drivers preventing you from booting into normal mode, try booting into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner. Then you should be able to get back into normal mode, and reinstall the drivers.

Advertisements

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
<_<

I'm in big trouble now. I ran it in safe mode but I can't put the Drive Cleaner on becuase it doesn't recognized that I have a CD drive! It doesn't have a CD drive at My Computer, and I can't access it any other was! (including Start|Run) It's too big to put on an A disk. Help!

Elven

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What if you just save it to your desktop and run from there?

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I can't. It still would have to access the CD. The computer we're speaking of is not connected to the internet. And since it can't read the CD, how can I save it to the desktop?

Elven

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Okay, let's try this. Boot into safe mode. Go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, click the + sign next to display adaptors and right click devices shown in this catategory and select uninstall. Restart and see if you can boot in standard mode now.

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I already did that, but I went there again and the is no Display Adapters anymore, my guess is becuase I removed all the components under it. The is however still CD-ROM components under CD-ROM (or some similar name). Is it possible that the CD-ROM doesnt' work in Safe Mode? Anyhow, there's no Display Adapters anymore.

Elven