Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Adapter Problems

• Please log in to reply

ChefNThyme

ChefNThyme

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First, please be nice to the newbie. <_<

I have a new Dell computer, but I'm using my old Gateway 19" CRT until I can afford to purchase a new LCD. I had an issue at first because the default refresh rate was set at 80 and the monitor requires 60, but I fixed that...no more flickers. I am still getting an error randomly, it seems, that shuts down XP and gives me a message that indicates that I should check my video adapter, or check to see if I have incompatible memory. I checked in control panel and it doesn't show any error messages with the monitor or video card. The error message also states that I should run my system manufacturer's diagnostic tool, but I haven't been able to figure that out. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It's very frustrating to be shut down in the middle of things.

Advertisements

cerpher

cerpher

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Chef,

My pass knowledge tells me you have nothing to worry about. Now I could be misunderstand your problem and apologize.

1. If you do not turn the monitor off first when doing a shut down. You will receive a sync error on the display.

2. Since the monitor cannot detect the video card (i.e. not on) then it wants to help you by asking you to run my system manufacturer's diagnostic tool.

Note – Dell monitor is still looking for the video card signal. Just turn off the monitor.

Please feel free to get a second opinion. These are free advices.

Thanks,

PC Tech Dr

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like your having issues with your video card's software driver. Have you checked to see if an updated video driver is available?