Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Deleted Files!

• Please log in to reply

acousticaxe511

acousticaxe511

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi all,
I'm not sure quite if this is the right forum, but I'm not really sure on where to go for this.
On my desktop, I have a couple of folders (Songs and School Work). This morning, I went to access one of my homework assignments, and all of the subfolders and documents were gone. Also, all of the Song subfolders and documents were gone.
I did a system restore, and it brought back the subfolders, but not the actual files themselves!
I know that I did not manually delete these files, and that I had access to them last night.
I hope someone could help! (Could it possibly be a virus? I have the latest McAfee and keep it updated).
Thanks !!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you checked the recycle bin to see if the files are there? If they are you can restore them from there. Do you know the names of the files you are looking for? You can do a search for them. There is a multitude of information available at M$ on a search for "undelete"
http://support.micro...spx?qu=undelete

acousticaxe511

acousticaxe511

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks...but none of those links seemed as if they were about the problem I have...(there are files in the recycle bin, but not the ones that are missing...which means they never were in the recycle bin). Also, I ran a search and none of the files could be found.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install Tune-Up then use tuneup undelete to look for files, tick show only files in good condition and restore to original location, if it stll exists, if not, restore to a folder you create for the purpose, then you can transfer them from there

After this, while you have the trial you might as well run these

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

acousticaxe511

acousticaxe511

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I ran the Undelete to look for the files, and none of them were listed. The problem is, is that they were never in the recycle bin..
There must have been a couple hundred files, located in different folders, and all of the files and folders just disapeared overnight (my computer was off). After the system restore, the folders came back, but not the files that were in them.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tune Up undelete will look for and find files on the hard drive, irrespective of whether they went via the recycle bin

Try using undelete to look for a specific file, or everything, including files in bad condition

acousticaxe511

acousticaxe511

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried Tune Up undelete to look for all files, including ones in bad condition. It didn't find any of the ones that have disapeared.

Police22

Police22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Any new outcome of this..
This has happened to me also.. files of resume's, timeclock, etc. Files are in .pdf, .doc, .xls, and maybe others. Did a system restore as acousticaxe511 did and only brought back folder structure. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT I DIDNT DELETE. So how did they go bye bye? and why just that folder? Most of these files are very important and i know very stupid not to have a hard back up and im kicking my self right now.. but i have tried Several other UNDELETE software that did not help.