Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor problems

• Please log in to reply

davidt

davidt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a strange problem with my laptop. I have had it basically since it was new.

When I move the mouse cursor (in any application) it locks for a very brief moment (computer freezes). Sometimes there is no problem but sometimes it happens constantly (maybe every 5-10 seconds). When the computer freezes I notice that the CPU-activity goes up to 100% for a very brief moment (a spike).

This problem happens both when I use the internal mousepad as well as my external mouse (a logitech mouse).

Does anyone have clue what this problem might be?

- David Tegenmark

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Sounds like something is running in the 'background' and using up all of the resources. I would sweep for virus's, spyware and trojans. Make sure all of that stuff is off.

How much RAM do you have? I just did a memory upgrade on a 2 year old Dell Inspiron laptop. XP home and 128M of RAM. I'm amazed that Dell would even ship a laptop with only 128M on it.

Windows kept increasing the virtual memory on my Gateway laptop even when it was new. I finally set it to 2.5 times as big as the RAM. Setting min and max to the same amount 625M. Now it runs great.