Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Main board

• Please log in to reply

petemh

petemh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
yrerew

Edited by petemh, 16 October 2005 - 04:39 PM.

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'd go with the Sempron, look at it this way, you're choosing between Intel's cut down 32-bit processor and AMD's cut down 64-bit processor.

As a guide, with the full versions (Athlon-64 vs Pentium D), the Athlon generally outperforms the Pentium even with a 32-bit OS and you have at least the option of going to 64-bit.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I would actually recommend going to TigerDirect.com, you can get a nice MotherBoard/CPU deals there. Such as mother board and Athlon 3700+ for 199.99$

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I like amd and intel pentium 4 both.

Dont buy a celeron they suck. If your going to fork over the money get a Pentium 4.

Semprons arent my favorite either I wouldnt buy one. Its the cheaper/ low budget chip just like the celeron is.

By the real thing

amd 64 bit 3200+ or above or

intel pentium 4 3.0 ghz or above

Try to go with motherboards with pci express

amd chips do crappy at multi-tasking but are better at games ONLY considering with 1 program being open which would be a game. Anything other than 1 program open at a time it sucks.

Intel pentium 4 does good at multi-tasking and plays games very good. Can have a few programs running without any notice at all. Many programs open with slightly notice.

(All of the above was talking about single cpu chips) not dual core.

Edited by jrm20, 15 October 2005 - 10:31 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ummm, get an older premium processor, theres no point going with either sempron or celeron. Go for an older athlon XP 3000+ or 2800+, itll beat the heck out of that celeron/sempron rubbish and itll cost the same.

Not everything is in GHZ, you need to look at the cache memory. A rule of thumb is, yesterdays premium will cost the same but run much better than todays rubbish.

Think about it, would you go out with a younger ugly girl or an older pretty girl?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
lol