Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laditude c800 POST issue?

• Please log in to reply

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
This laptop was given to me and apears to be nothing wrong with it but for some reason when i turn it on it wont even POST then turnes right back off. I gutted this thing to see if there was any visible signs but i did see anything then put it all back together and it turned on long enough to install xp pro and mandrake then it shut right back off and havent been able to get it to boot since. anyone know what could be happening?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I don't have a clue why that is happening. I can only offer some suggestions for troubleshooting. You said you got it booted up and installed windows xp and mandrake? Can you boot to a cd like your windows install cd? If it is totally dead, I suggest checking the power supply.

SlitNek

SlitNek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
No it wont boot to a cd. its like rolling the dice to see if the machine will turn on sometimes it doesnt sometimes it doesnt, sometimes it gets half way through the post and lockes up and sometimes it doesnt even try and sometimes it gets all the way into windows or mandrake and then locks up. dont know what to do now, i have already given everything a through look over

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try booting up with nothing but the video card and ram in the system...no hd no cdroms no peripherals..just ram and video card...and see if it goes all the way through post....if you can...check your temps in bios

SlitNek

SlitNek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
ok just tried but again if it decides to go through the post then it tells me that there is no optical or hdd and no OS found, i put known working memory in the machine but the problem stays. I hate laptops i think i have taken it apart 18-19 times in the past 3 days