Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox install

• Please log in to reply

deanbo

deanbo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I am running XP Pro with IE 6 and i would like to try Firefox instead.
I have downloaded it but not yet installed it as i thought i would check here for any potential probs or anything unusual that i need to know beforehand.

My PC is an AMD XP 2500 barton CPU with a K7 MSI mobo and 512mb DDR2700
and a 120 gig HDD.

I have only had a PC for a little over a year now and compared to most of you i'm a novice.I have installed and uninstalled plenty of things so i am OK with that usually.

So is there anything I need to know before i do it ? I realise that some sites still need IE,so will installing firefox uninstall IE ? Or can i have both ?
Will i damage IE at all by running firefox instead ? I've read of probs with IE repair and i could do without that.I have never done this before,so naturally i'm a bit apprehensive about it.But i'd really like to try it for myself.I am on dial-up and will firefox be slower than IE on dial-up ?I read about Opera as well and that sounds fast.I use this PC just for me with no LAN or bluetooth,just a single-user PC on dial-up and i only have a scanner,printer and a 128mb MP3 player that connects via USB,if that helps at all.
I've had a good read of past topics to see if this was already covered but couldn't find anything specific to my needs in there,so apologies if i'm going over old territory in advance,and all my thanks to anyone who helps. :tazz:

Advertisements

Cadence

Cadence

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Don't worry, Firefox won't uninstall or damage IE. And you can download a plug in for Firefox that lets you view certain pages in IE that don't display correctly in Firefox. :tazz: As for Opera, it is my browser of choice and as a fellow dial up user [though not for much longer, yay!] I have found it to be even faster than Firefox and IE. :)

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Oh great that sounds good,is there a link anywhere on here to that plug-in?

Opera sounds good too and i turn off the bells and whistles with XP anyway, i've heard that Opera is a bit basic.Is that true?
I probably wouldn't mind if it was a bit less graphic intensive,being on dial-up.

I intend to go BB soon as i'm fed up of dial-up and i'm a mod on a guitar forum where they all record original stuff,so i never hear the songs as it takes an age to D/load them on dial-up.thanks cadence,i'll do it tomorrow and i'll hunt for that plug-in too.Cheers :tazz:

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
opera does have the reputation for being the fastest browser and I think its true because it really makes a dramatic difference, especially if you're on dial-up. it's not really basic, you can't add to it like with firefox extensions but what's already there is pretty good.

the extensions mirror is a great place for firefox extensions.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The View This Page In IE plug-in for Firefox:
http://ieview.mozdev.org/

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks everyone for your help,if i have any probs no doubt you'll see me soon.cheers :tazz:

chessonly

chessonly

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
For opera's view in IE button:
http://nontroppo.org...i/CustomButtons

just drag and drop the button to any toolbar.