Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOCKS configuration problems

• Please log in to reply

symvar

symvar

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi peeps,

this is my first post here, i hope someone can help me :tazz:

here is the thing:

I want to run a game(Diablo 2) trough a SOCKS server, i downloaded this small socks client named "sockscap V2" (with this program u can acces internet with any application trough a socksserver) and followed instructions from some forum about how to do it. Its just simple how they explain it..

- enter the right socks server ip
- enter the right port
- enter the right path for the application u wanna run etc.

But when i follow the steps, i cant get it to work. i also tried connecting other applications trough a socks server and that didnt work aswell, i tried to enter other socks server ip's(+port) but also no result. i tried configuring NAT in my router to route the game's ports to my pc but no result.

i think, connecting an application trough a SOCKS4 or SOCKS4.5 server should be very simple but im doing something wrong obviously :)

Does anyone have experience with connecting to socks servers? Does someone have a suggestion(or 2) mabe? leave me a reply on this topic if i think u can help pls.

Greets,

Symvar

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Why are you running it through a proxy server in the first place? If you need to get through a proxy, then you must have some type of administration on your network that doesn't want you to get through to begin with. And if you are the administrator, why would you want to allow a game such as Diablo II through your network?

symvar

symvar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Why are you running it through a proxy server in the first place? If you need to get through a proxy, then you must have some type of administration on your network that doesn't want you to get through to begin with. And if you are the administrator, why would you want to allow a game such as Diablo II through your network?

- why? there's a good reason for that. With diablo 2 u can play with max 8 players in the same "game", to get into a "game" u log in to the battle.net server(game server) and "join" a game. the thing is, from 1 ip u can only log in 4 times(effectively) and i want to log in 8 times, then i could fill a whole game(8 players) for myself. so i will need to log in from 2 ip's.

- i got 2 computers at home, so i could use 1 computer to log in from my own ip. and i want the other computer to log in trough a Socks server so that i have 2 ip's (atleast thats what the battle.net servers thinks)

- for your second question, "why would anyone allow a game to run trough his proxy". well, i think there's alot of "socks servers" online u can just use for this perpose without anyone caring about it.

anyway, despite any of my intentions with this game i still dont know why i cant connect with any socks server :tazz: anyone has a suggestion mabe?

Greets

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Well, the main problem is that even if you could connect to an anonymous proxy server, chances are that

uswest.battle.net
useast.battle.net

et al....

will not accept the connection you are trying to make... because for each IP address, you need a unique battle.net account name and CD- key. If you duplicate the CD-key on another session, you will end up getting blocked from logging in to battle.net. Then your account will be banned.

symvar

symvar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Well, the main problem is that even if you could connect to an anonymous proxy server, chances are that

uswest.battle.net
useast.battle.net

et al....

will not accept the connection you are trying to make... because for each IP address, you need a unique battle.net account name and CD- key. If you duplicate the CD-key on another session, you will end up getting blocked from logging in to battle.net. Then your account will be banned.

its true, u need a set of cdkeys for each time u want to log in. the good thing is, that i have the cdkeys(legal ones yes) so thats no problem..

btw, im doing this from 1 computer allready, i can use 4 cdkeys on that one.. battle.net gives u enough bandwith to play with 4 people from the same ip, with more then 4, things get laggy.

anyway, cdkeys arnt the problem. i have them, i just need a second ip to connect from :tazz:

Greets

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
didn't mean to imply you were doing anything dodgy.... :tazz: ..

The fact remains that without configuration input from blizzard themselves, connecting to the battle.net servers from a proxy server would by nearly impossible

symvar

symvar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ill put my old comp at my moms place, put PCanywhere or vnc on it and go :tazz: that will b the second ip..

Greets :)