Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NIC & MODEM

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I want to build my own computer and i am making a list of the parts to buy. I don't know if i need a modem and a network card? What do they do? What are the disadvantages of not having one?

THNX :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

If you are going to connect to the net using dial-up, then you need a modem..

If you are going to connect via broadband, then you need an ethernet card (NIC)..

Don't have either one?? Then you have a very expensive word processor !! :tazz:

Murray

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Most if not all motherboards produced today have onboard nic so you won't need a card

modems and network cards are very common components in most any computer and you should have a full understanding of these and many other parts before building or ordering.

Maybe post your list here the very helpfull folks will be glad to give you advice and tips.

Rick

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
HI

I will probably get these parts :

MOTHERBOARD
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
$207

VIDEO CARD
BFG 6600GT PCI-E
$227

SOUND CARD
Sound Blaster Live 24-Bit
$37

PROCESSOR
AMD Athlon 64 3000BP 939 Pin
$184

RAM
Kingston 1GB 400MHz DDR2 PC2-3200 DIMM - KVR400D2N3/1G
$127

HARD DRIVE
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - 250GB 7200rpm 16MB buffer
$123

OPTICAL DRIVE
LG GSA-4163B DVD Writer DOUBLE LAYER
$57

Case
Aspire X-Dreamer Case (Beige) - CC-ASP-XDR-420BE
$80

POWER SUPPLY
Aspire 500W See-Through Pwr Supply - Silver - PS-ASP-AS500W-SL
$88

*The case comes with a 350W power supply but i don't know if thats enought for the hardware. I am also looking forward to putting another identical video card in the future with another stick of RAM once i get more money after i get the PC.So the power supply (the aspire one) is optional only if the built-in power is not enough.

*The prices are all in Canadian dollars. I am getting them from this store www.pccyber.com so you can go there if there are any better products let me know.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Nice rig your parts look good except the ram get 2- 512mb DDR pc 3200, this will let you operate in dual channel. You listed DDR2 witch you don't need for a AMD system

Provide a link to your ram and cpu so I can be sure.

Why are you going to use a sound card? The mobo has onboard sound that is very good

The 350w psu won't work its to small for the system, provide a link to the 500w and I will check it out.

Rick

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
HI

Whats the advantage of dual channel??

Anyways this is the link to the power supply:

http://pccyber.ca/sc...uct_types_id=30

You can check here for any beter ones if u recommend but notting over $88 :

http://pccyber.ca/sc...uct_types_id=30

And this is the RAM that i chose
Corsair 1024MB PC-3200PRO TWINX-Dual Channel DDR - TWINX1024-3200C2PRO
$184

Or you can go here and browse through some other RAM and c if there r any better ones. but notto expensive.

If the dual channel isn't really needed i could get the original RAM stick because i am low on budget.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
As for the psu how about this one I have one works great. I ain't nuts about the aspire read some bad reviews and they don't like to make the specs easy to find witch makes me suspicious but I did find them in the review and it would work

You want dual channel it essentially doubles the data path to and from memory and speeds things up, plus your board is setup for it so you might as well take advantage of it.

The ram you have choosen is fine and will run in dual channel

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I was thinking of buying that too but i don't have a credit card srry and i can't get one. I will stick with the aspire one ( hopefully it won't be bad ).

Anyways is dual channel the same thing as 2 RAM sticks??? If that is the case then i will get the original i suggested but i will add one more sticks later when i get some more money.

About the sound card. Is 8 bit good. because thats all the motherboard has. I will just listen to music and play games in this computer. I am not expecting a high quality sound from this pc.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes you need 2 sticks to run dual channel but they must be put in the correct slots to run dual. this info will be in the manual that comes with the board. Its best to purchase the ram as a dual kit like the link you provided because ram has to be matched pair or dual channel kit to run correctly in dual channel mode so I would stay with that.

For your purpose the onboard sound will be good so scratch the sound card and put the money toward the ram.

Edited by Doby, 13 October 2005 - 05:56 PM.