Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro Event Viewer Hang

• Please log in to reply

gary oa

gary oa

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Seems microsoft is aware of this but even they don't know what the problem is.

Event viewer.
Opens fine.
Check an event. No problem.
That's when the problem starts.
Can't close it.
Have to CAD and shut it down with task manager. So if I want to check more than one event I have to CAD every time I want to go to another one. Anyone come up with this problem and find a solution?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Wierd, never heard of that problem. Is your computer updated with service pack 2?

Fenor

gary oa

gary oa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yep. All updates current. System runs fine. It's not a major problem, just a real annoyance.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Could possibly just have so many items in the event viewer that it is lagging. Try highlighting each of the items in the EVENT VIEWER (Application, Security, System) and then click on ACTION and select CLEAR ALL EVENTS. Click NO when asked if you want to save it first.

Then reboot your computer and go back in and see if the problem persists.

Fenor

gary oa

gary oa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
This has been going on for many, many months. I occasionally dump it all, especially when it gets too big or I just solved a problem and don't need the old reports.

Are you supposed to be able to select one or two at a time to dump? I thot it was all or nothing.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can delete individually but it's easier to just click on the heading on the left side of the window and do what I said in previous post.

Fenor

gary oa

gary oa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well as I said I have deleted the files many times before. Tried it again and no luck. Still hangs.

I can't delete individually tho. Don't ever remember having that option, but then again, I usually just dump the whole thing at once. Never tried to dump one until now.

This is probably going to end up one of those "sucks being me" annoyances. :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Well as I said I have deleted the files many times before. Tried it again and no luck. Still hangs.

I can't delete individually tho. Don't ever remember having that option, but then again, I usually just dump the whole thing at once. Never tried to dump one until now.

This is probably going to end up one of those "sucks being me" annoyances.  :tazz:

View Post

I never tried deleting just one as well, tried this morning and I can't either. So it's not just you that can't delete just one. :) Anyways, I'll do some research today while I'm at work and see if I can find anything that corresponds to the problem you're having.

Fenor

gary oa

gary oa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I appreciate it. I'm wondering if there is somewhere a corrupt report that won't show in the viewer and won't dump since it's corrupt. But if I use system or application view it hangs with both. It's an EOE. :tazz: Never saw anything in the security section.

Actually as well, I really don't have to CAD to close it. If I wait long enough it will give me the "program not responding" error and the option to end now.