Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet extremely slow

• Please log in to reply

Sparky65

Sparky65

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there. I was just referred here by greyknight17 on the Removing Malware forum. For the last couple of days, my internet has been painfully slow, and I can't figure out why. At first I thought it was a virus or spyware, but greyknight17 has checked out my HijackThis log and says everything looks fine. He thought maybe it might be a network issue.

For your information, there are 3 desktop pc's in my house plus one laptop. I have a D-Link (DI-524) wireless router. The 3 pc's are wired to the router, and the laptop is a wireless connection. Forgive me if I don't describe everything you need to know, but I am fairly new to networking. I did contact my ISP, they checked everything from their end, and said everything was working fine. I have high speed internet. I don't know if there is anything else you need to know. Can anyone help? I would appreciate it.

Oh, I guess you might also want to know that I am running Windows XP and Windows Firewall. Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Sparky65!

Can you please post the link to your post in the Malware Forum so I can check it out.

Thanks,

Fenor

Sparky65

Sparky65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
http://www.geekstogo...are-t70080.html

never had to "post a link" before - did I do it right? Sorry.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yup worked like a charm :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
How much memory does your computer have and how much is free? Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on the PERFORMANCE tab. Post the information under Physical Memory for TOTAL and AVAILABLE. See attached file for exactly what i want (It's circled in red in the picture).

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• memoryInfo.JPG

Sparky65

Sparky65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Here's the memory information you asked for:

Physical Memory (K)
Total 523760
Available 195668
System Cache 235524

Boy, you're going to think I'm useless, but I couldn't figure out any way to copy it, so I just typed it. Of course, it keeps changing which made it a little difficult. Hope this is what you needed.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What I suggest you do is download and install CleanUp!. Once it's installed, run it and just click CleanUp! and it will do a standard cleanup. Be warned though that ALL COOKIES will be deleted, so if you have passwords saved for websites, you will have to re-enter them the next time you go to those sites. So if you won't remember them, write 'em down. :tazz:

After it's done it will ask if you want to log off to remove some files that couldn't be removed, click yes. Once you are logged back in, reboot your computer and then see how your computer is running.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If this doesn't work, then I suggest you power down everything, unplugging the modem for your cable internet and also the router. Leave em unplugged/powered down for at least 5 minutes. Then plug the cable modem back in. Once it's done with it's self-test and the lights are lit up as they are normally, plug in the router. Once the router's lights are done blinking and are back to normal turn on one of the computers and see how the Internet is acting.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 10 October 2005 - 07:54 PM.

Sparky65

Sparky65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, CleanUp got rid of a lot of crap, but my internet is still the same. :tazz: I actually did unplug the modem and router before I booted up again, but I only left them for about 30 seconds. Plus the 2 pc's are on upstairs. So, I'm going to get my exercise on the stairs again, turn off the pc's upstairs and be a little more patient when I unplug the modem and router. LOL Just in case this means anything to you, the main pc that I'm on right now is taking way longer to shut down than it used to before this problem. I'll be back in a bit. Thanks for your patience.

Sparky65

Sparky65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I don't want to get too excited yet, but I think it is better! Sometimes I think that routers are the most unstable aspect of the computer world. They are just so unpredictable. Anyway, this is the only pc on at this time, and I did unplug the modem and the router for over 5 minutes. Web pages seem to be loading like they used to. Should I try turning the other pc's on again, or is there anything else you would like me to check? Thanks

Sparky65

Sparky65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi. I just wanted to let you know that everything is fine now. Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad everything is working at it should again! :tazz:

Every once in a while routers and modems need to be reset, just like computers need to be rebooted once in a while to make things 'fresh' again.

Fenor