Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Admin password in winxp home

• Please log in to reply

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
If a admin password is set and is long forgotten is there any way to get past it to run the xp repair function?

Advertisements

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
I'm assuming this is your computer and everything..

The answer to that is how comfortable you feel inside your computer.

You will need to clear the cmos, it's usually done by moving a jumper, removing the battery - or both.

If you have specs for your system, your motherboard in specific, I can try to find a picture to show you where the jumper is. It's almost always right by the battery, it's the size of a nickel.

DeSade

DeSade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Does that remove anything other than the password?

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Nothing you will really notice, unless you are an advanced user and overclocked or something like that, you won't notice anything. The time may be screwed up a little bit. If/when you do it, when you boot up the computer again it will tell you cmos was cleared/corrupted/whatever and will want to know if you want to enter the BIOS. Select yes and go to the tab Standard CMOS Setup and fix the time if nessecary.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
this topic puzzles me. are you talking about bios password or xp logon password?

removing cmos battery clears any bios passwords but definitely will not remove xp logon ones.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi DeSade....

Thef0rce is correct, the way I read your post, it's the Windows Admin Password that you are having the problem with...flashing the BIOS will not clear that one. I'm not sure if the System File Checker will ask for the password or not , but you might give it a try:

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hmm, the way he said windows repair made me think dos...supervisor password.

Maybe I was just tired when I read your post.

Were you talking about the one you use to get in windows?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
hmm.. wannabe, your method only works if he has another user account to use to run the command.

if you have xp home you can boot into safe mode by tapping F8 as the computer is starting and choosing 'safe mode' from the list that appears. when the welcome screen shows up you'll see an account called 'admin'. I know some people do password protect this account but it's very easy to miss it because xp setup is not terribly clear about there even being a default admin account. So if this is not password protected, you should be able to login to it.

Edited by Thef0rce, 11 October 2005 - 11:10 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good point, Thef0rce...Thanks for the additional information!

wannabe1

DeSade

DeSade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Thanks for all the replies.

It is the XP Admin account and I don't know the password (its not my machine fixing it for a friend and he has no idea what the password is either)

Its corrupted so far that safe mode will not load and even if it did I don't have the admin password anyway.

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I may be wrong but there are worms(?) getting thru on auto updates and on ads.Ads carries such little amounts of info. that most ways of scanning for an infected file or folder are pointless.I would check w/an admin. but tapping either f10 or f12 during bootup will give you a menu of choices on how to dump everything and start all over.Most companies have not spent much time on trying to ensure against corruption of ads because the little info. they do carry has been relatively harmless,but it's becoming very chic to infest these little bundles.They can however manipulate reg. keys and a single off digit can result in not being able to access acc.ts,esp. the admin. acc.t wich only shows during boot-uo tapping the f8 key.It's very important to safeguard the admin.acct. wich gives an all access pass to whomever has control over it.I'd reinstall and before connecting to the internet try to get safeguard programs running and remain ever vigilant against threats.Sorry to say but if he forgot the admin.password is there really a lot of critical info in there to keep?

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Is there a user or a guest account on that computer that you can logon with ?

If no, then on the login screen hit ctrl alt del twice and enter username as Guest and leave the password field blank. If this works let us know. I might have a way to reset xp admin password once you have logged in as a guest or user.

If none of the above works, there might still be a way to recover the password, but it will be long. Depends what you have on the computer and how important it is to you/your friend.

And yes like Thef0rce said, once you are on the welcome/login screen hit ctrl alt del twice and enter the user as Administrator and leave the password field blank. See if this works.

cheers

not_napster

Edited by not_napster, 11 October 2005 - 03:59 PM.