Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW Drive Not Reading Any Discs!

• Please log in to reply

JoshXC

JoshXC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My CD-RW Drive is not reading any discs of any format or size. I use 2 CD/DVD Drives. After using Nero Express to burn a small .rar file (which failed due to Nero not responding) I restarted Nero Express and tried to burn the file again. However when I inserted a new blank disc it said PLEASE INSERT A WRITABLE BLANK DISC or something like that. Now I have reinstalled drivers and rebooted and did registry repairs and virus scan and trojan/spyware scans. I have two drives for media CD's.

1. E: HP CD-Writer +9100 [the problem]
2. F: Hitachi GD - 2000 [not a burner but reads DVD's and all CD's]

My disc works in other computers and I've burnt on the same brand CDRW on different computers. This is a serious problem becuase I am a student and this is my main computer. Nero has to be the problem but there must be some external way to fix it outside of Nero Customer Support. I am looking for someone who knows about registry files and the possible error not a person who is going to question the lens dust or IDE cable. The cable is connected and power is on and my lens is clean.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

I know that this might sound silly, but are you using the right type of DVDs some drives can only burn to DVD-R/RW and some to DVD+R/RW please note the + and - it is important, and has court out many people before.

Also where do you get the .rar file that you were trying to burn.

JoshXC

JoshXC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK I know that would work with a DVD WRITER but the HP one I have is a CD Writer and the discs work well. By the way i created the rar.

Edited by JoshXC, 13 October 2005 - 07:32 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Well then if you have a CD writer, you will not be able to burn DVDs. External DVD writers a very cheep, maybe you should consider getting one.