Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

how did this website come about

• Please log in to reply

Guest_The_Tiddler_*

Guest_The_Tiddler_*
i was wondering how exactly did this website come about, where you got the idea from, what web hosting did you use, was it difficult, what made it so successfull, did other administrators help you with initial construction or did you conscript them later etc etc etc............ :)

sorry about all the questions just curious :tazz:

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I've told the story here before, but it's been a while. Originally, GeeksToGo.com was registered with thoughts of becoming an on-site computer repair business, like GeekSquad or GeeksOnCall. However, there already existed a trademark, and I didn't want to fight the legal battle. Even the owner of Geeks2Go threatened legal action (they're no longer in business). I had always enjoyed helping at other free computer help sites, so I thought I'd try starting my own. That was about 2-1/2 years ago. I never dreamed it would grow to be so successful.

The first year it was mostly myself. I was hosted by a company called DixieSys. They also hosted a fast growing site called SpywareInfo.com, I liked what I saw there, and started to learn as much as I could about spyware. Mostly, self taught, but I often visited SWI, and TomCoyote. It seemed a natural fit, so malware removal was added to our forums. Now it's our largest forum.

Admins, moderators, and staff members were all added as the site grew. At first, I made all the decisions regarding staff, now most positions are selected by their peers. It is very easy to build a site that looks like this, but it's very difficult to make it successful. It takes a tremendous amount of time, and many varied skills from SEO, to coding, and server administration. It's a tremendously rewarding experience, but I really don't think I could do it all over again.

I think we're successful because we have great people here that truly enjoy helping others. We try and make the site welcoming, and non-intimidating. We'll never talk down to anyone, and we have little tolerance for trouble-makers.

I hope that answers your questions. Thanks for asking! I enjoy reviewing were we've been, and how we got here. :tazz:

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I'm glad you answered that.I have found the adm. and the tech.s to be very helpful and everyone seems to be kinda getting along with their confounded machines a little better.I've been on other sites and have walked away infested!!
Good on ya,my peeps.Keep up the good work :tazz: