Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

Mattybumba

Mattybumba

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
hey guys,

my mums computer is pretty old and we are havin a few probs with the harddrive. runs alright for a while, loads xp, but when you go to access a file or summin it starts to click and freeze up. i pressuming there is some sort of scratch or mark on the disc when its trying to read off it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanx guys :tazz:

matt

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I suspect it is trying to tell you that it is ready to die. I suggest you get a new hard drive. Start recovering data you want to keep NOW before it is too late.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you get a new major brand hard drive it should have software that will let you copy your old drive to the new one so that all your files and programs will be saved. Assuming that your old one lasts long enough to do that. That is usually the simplest way to make the new drive work.

Mattybumba

Mattybumba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks guys,

Any suggestions on what brand I should get?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I have several Western digital, one Seagate and one Samsung. All are working very well for me and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of either of these brands. I made decisions based on reviews I found. So far I have made good choices!

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
seagates are good. but maxtor and western digital are probably the most commonly used brands.