Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD ROM probs

• Please log in to reply

JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,
I just recently put in a new PS and vid card and now my CD ROM will not work properly.
THe autorun feature will not work, and it appears I also cannot read a disc after clicking on the drive icon. I plan on checking it with the autorun tool you have posted elsewhere in the forum, but I wonder if something has happened to the drivers. How can I check to see if the drivers are there or not?

Another odd thing I noticed is I could hear the CD ROM trying to 'work' (with no disc in it) when I open or close an appliction such as my web browser.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

First thing you probably ought to do is power off the PC & check the cabling to the CDROM drive - i.e power connector & both ends of the IDE ribbon cable. If in any doubt, just unplug each connection one at a time & then re-attach it.
With this done, check to see that the bios is detecting the CDROM drive correctly by setting it to auto-detect the drive.

Let me know what happens & whether this has fixed the problem.

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
try to open and close the drive... if this works its a pretty good indication your getting power to it.

You can check to see if the drivers are still there by going to device manager.
start - control panel - system - hardware tab - device manager
then click the plus sign on DVD/CD rom drive and see if it has any ! or ? next to your drive or if its there at all