Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

reneeposh

reneeposh

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
HI. I have a Windows 98 SE......for the last few days when I go to shut down it is slower than usual and then it gives me the..."blue screen of death" (my bro calls it). I click on a key and then it just goes black and nothing, so I just shut it down at the tower.

Could someone possibly let me know why it is doing this? I was here a couple weeks back and Sam helped me clean everything out so now I don't know if it is just that computer is "old and tired". Thanks for your time. Renee.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
What is the message that the BSOD displays? Also, write down the exact time that this error occurs, the computer's time.

reneeposh

reneeposh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
HI. Thank-you for your reply. I couldn't believe it!! As soon as I got your reply I shut down so I could write down everthing to tell you.....it worked "perfect". Hmmmm??? I will keep you informed if it should happen again when I shut down later this evening.
Thanx so much for your time. Renee.

reneeposh

reneeposh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi again. Okay I closed down last night and the BSOD came up. This is what it says:

A fatal exception OE has occurrd at 0028;00000017. The current application will be terminated.

*Press any key to terminate the current application.

*Press CRTL&ALT&DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications.

Press any key to continue.

I then press "any key" and it just turns to a black screen or it has the Windows 98 screen and says "Windows is shutting down" and it sits there forever....doing nothing.

Hopefully it is not anything serious. Thank-you again.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
If you're getting the blue screen when you shut down, its quite likely that windows can't terminate one of your processes properly.

Try to close down as many programs as you can when you shut it down, including anything that's hidden in the taskbar. this will narrow the problem down a bit and you might be able to figure out what's causing the problem.

reneeposh

reneeposh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanx. I will see what happens when I close down later...will try what you said. Have a good day. Renee.

:tazz:

reneeposh

reneeposh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
HI again. The exact same thing with the exact same wording came up when I shut down last night. I did what you said and made sure all my programs were closed. Any suggestions? Thank-you for your time. Have a good day. Renee. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
probably not gonna be much help but....everything i've found on google for the error (by the way it's zeroE not the letter o E in the error code for anyone else whos looking) suggest updating your vidoe drivers and your bios....there was one site that referenced trillian but i couldn't open it...do you have trillian installed?

reneeposh

reneeposh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
HI. Thanks for telling me about "ZeroE" as I didn't know that was how to say it...(know for the future).

As for "trillian"...I will ask my brother as this was his computer before me. If not then I should be installing Trillian?

Thanks. Renee...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no ..if it has trillian i was gonna suggest removing it....but..i doubt that it's fully related