Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead mainboard fan

• Please log in to reply

El Jimben

El Jimben

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I noticed that the small fan on the mobo doesn't always come on & I have to give it a gentle spin to get it going. Do you think it's just dead and needs replacing and if so, is this possible? Siso Sandra says my board temp is 50.5 degrees c and CPU 55 degrees c, is this ok?

I'm running an Athlon XP1900+ (@1.63Ghz according to system info) and my board is Abit KD7A (Via KT400A-8235).

Advertisements

El Jimben

El Jimben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
PC just crashed twice for no reason whilst gaming n listening to WMP and it's showing temp of 52.5 and 58 now :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

PC just crashed twice for no reason whilst gaming n listening to WMP and it's showing temp of 52.5 and 58 now :tazz:

View Post

Replace the fan post haste, it is your CPU fan and without it you're putting your expensive CPU at serious risk.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, El Jimben.

Is it the fan that says Abit on it? If so I would look in the manual for the Abit phone #, call them and they could send you a new one, or you could look for a new 2 pin fan elsewhere.

As for the cpu, that is also a bit on the hot side, if it is a stock heatsink that came with the processor, than that temp is somewhat common if thermal paste wasn't applied right/not at all.

El Jimben

El Jimben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It's not the standard fan that came with the PC as I managed to break one of the blades off that one! It's a pretty meaty looking thing but I do remember using the standard white thermal compound that was on the CPU HSF when I bought it. I take it that stuff is pretty useless?

As for the fan on the board, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. It's kinda ok for now, I've taken off the side panel so the fan there is blowing air more cold over the chipset to compensate but it's more the annoying whirring noise from the dying fan that's the problem :) Not too worried but my ageing hardware tbh, I'm gonna stump up for a Venice 3200+ or something similar in the near future :tazz: