Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

11 Mbps? AIIEE!

• Please log in to reply

Firebird00500

Firebird00500

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello and thank you all for looking at my problem. I have an 802.11g Wireless Internet by Belkin in my home which is connected to Comcast. Since my family only has one computer that can access Comcast, we have been forced to switch to Wireless. My network card has a maximum strength (speed) of 54 Mbps, but for some reason, it has stayed on 11 Mbps. All of my attempts at fixing this problem have been either inconsequential or devastating to my network, which usually requires long hours and/or Geek Squad to get it working again. I still have the Internet in my computer, and I have a repeater in the room directly below me, but the 11 Mbps is a real problem when I try to play games like Battlefield 2 that require a high speed connection to play.

My system stats are in my profile. Please help! :tazz:

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey FireBird00500, Welcome to G2G

What model Belkin 802.11G wireless router do you have? This is the connection you ideally want to have - Belkin 802.11G wireless card- communicating with Belkin 802.11G wireless routes , which is connected with comcast cable modem. You may have to update the firmware. Please give us a little more information and we would be more than happy to help you figure out what is going on. :tazz:

Edited by brianmil0923, 11 October 2005 - 11:07 AM.

Firebird00500

Firebird00500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Firmware Version
Boot Version
Hardware
F5D7230-4

That's what I found on my home network page. My IP is 192.168.2.5 .

What other information do you need to know? I would be happy to provide it.

EDIT: I have 3 computers in my house, and the other two work perfectly with the network. My network is the only malfunctioning one (or at least, not functioning optimally).

Edited by Firebird00500, 11 October 2005 - 11:37 AM.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

EDIT: I have 3 computers in my house, and the other two work perfectly with the network. My network is the only malfunctioning one (or at least, not functioning optimally).

View Post

Do you mean your computer is the only one not functioning optimally??

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your firewalls and virus scanners will slow things down considerably. Try it without them, if you dare, to see what a bare system will do.

Firebird00500

Firebird00500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
For the whole home wireless network? Or just for my computer?

And yes, my computer is the only one NOT reaching the optimal speeds from the network.