Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

question

• Please log in to reply

Guest_The_Tiddler_*

Guest_The_Tiddler_*
how come u only train your geeks on malware issues, surly their will come a point when you will need to higher experts in othe fields such as gaming and website programming, and what better place to higher then from your own trained staff. Plus i believe many people would like to learn how to program or website design and not just how to fight malware!

just a suggestion :tazz:

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Nobody is "hired" the people here are volunteering their time to help people.
They train people in Malware removal, because that why MOST people come here is they've got an infection, and they don't want just anybody popping in and giving answers, only people they know are going to take care of the problems the right way.

As for the other areas, there are "Trusted Techs", people that were normal members, and who have proven through posting that they have the knowledge necessary to help with issues other than malware.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You can teach malware removal because it is a science. This entry is good so leave it alone, this one is bad, so get the fix for voodoo. Computer tech can't because it is just has to be a hole lot of built up facts, one problem can have many answers you have to know the most common. Both take a lot of work but one has too many possibilities to be about to be taught.

Hope this help you see why.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 12 October 2005 - 04:36 AM.

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Well said Michael!

You can show someone the basics of Tech Help, but you can never train them fully. With all the experience in the world, there will always be problems that you have never seen nor heard of before.

eventvwr for the win though :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Yes that is true, you can teach some one the basics of Tech Help, but you can make then and expert no matter what you do to help them, you really have to just learn bye using your computer. If you what me to get you started with become thing a Computer Tech, I will do that.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,046 posts
  • MVP
plus...speaking from experience...9 out of every 10 fixes that we trusted techs suggest are learned trhough personal experience "ah yes...i remember when my cd rom dissapeared out of windows...this is what i did to fix it" and most of the time...we learned how to fix those through internet research....so bascially the best training tool for tech support is google...

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
The only other problem is that while we continue to gain more knowledge on ridding computers of spyware and viruses, other people continue to find new and more effective ways to infect computers.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
just to paraphrase what's already been said, malware removal really is methodical. You have a concrete problem that you're working on resolving. You see the same problems over and over because viruses are written for large scale distribution. We can then learn how to fight these viruses

with technical issues, you're fighting either your hardware, windows, or evil spirits that live in the power supply. Something is wrong, and there are too many problems, and too many different ways they appear to try and catalog them all. Take a gander at the size of microsoft's known issues... its staggering.

as dsenette has said, its generally experience that solves those problems. I cant claim near the level of experience that most of the TTs can, but I have seen a computer break once or twice, so I have a sense of the concept. It took me weeks to diagnose a bad RAM chip the first time it happened to me, but I can sure do it a lot easier now. The same holds true for software issues.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
Just a quick example. You'll notice in the Malware forum that a good majority of topics are dealing with a "trojan.vundo" or "winfixer." Although in each case a different file is infected, the same method is used in HJT to remove the issue.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Avohir said it all, hardware problems are just as complex as malware removel, the problem is the best way to figure out the bad part is by swapping parts in and out witch is what most computer shops do because they have test beds and spare parts. But when working remotely most people with problems don't have that luxury.

So the TT's have to rely on thier experance, pour tons of time into research and google to make sure it ain't a driver or software issue then have the person run some tests that will hopefully point us to the bad component. Hopefully the person is explaining things accurately and pays attention to detail

Its then that I will recomend to replace a component, then research a replacement to make sure it is compatible with the users computer and recomend the best product I know of for the replacement.

The whole time I am hoping like heck I am right before the guy spends his hard earned cash and at the same time I am thinking if I only had this thing in my shop to test it.

Just my 2 cents on what I go thur when working remotely at GtG

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Oh yea forgot to add sometimes gremlins just get in the computer and none of us ever figure it out