file is unique for every PC (depends on the hardware).
Follow the steps below:
- In ur BIOS set CD-ROM has 1st Boot Device.
- Insert XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
- After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installtion using Recovery Console".
- U will be prompted for Adminstrator account's password. Press Enter if the password was blank.
- Type the following commands, and press enter after each one:
- Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
(where C: is the partition where XP was installed)
- DEL C:\Boot.ini
- BootCfg /Rebuild
- Reboot ur PC
If the above method does'nt work, try the following:
Use the same steps to get into Recovery Console
as suggested previously.
I'll give two more ways to recover from this error from the Recovery Console
, use any one
only if u downloaded SP2 and installed it.
if u have installed SP2 from CD and u have the CD; or if u have'nt installed SP2 at all.Method1
Type the following comamds:cd\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
copy hal.dll c:\Windows\System32
Type the following comamd:expand x:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll
(where x: the drive-leeter of ur CD-ROM drive and c: is the partition where XP was installed)
Edited by darth_ash, 13 October 2005 - 10:45 AM.