Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

port forwarding

• Please log in to reply

rfire2k

rfire2k

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
i want to ask how to port fowarding using a computer as a gateway here is our setup

dslconnection >>> Computer (acts as gateway) >>> my computer coz i want to use pc anywhere in my pc thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey rFire2k,

The first place you need to look would be your DSL modem/router. What is the make/model of the router you have for your DSL connection? You would need to enable port forwarding or what is refered to as VC on some routers.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
It sounds to me like the first computer IS the router. He simply has a DSL Modem (no router). If that is the case, then you may want to check the firewall settings on the first computer.

So from what I understand from your question, you would like to sit at say school, and be able to PC Anywhere into your "my computer", going through the first computer that is being used as a router?? Does the first computer serve any other purpose other than being a router? What OS is on the first computer?

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

It sounds to me like the first computer IS the router. He simply has a DSL Modem (no router). If that is the case, then you may want to check the firewall settings on the first computer.

DSL doesn't use a modem (in the true sense), most ISPs provide you with an ADSL modem, which functions as a router to connect to their network.

rfire2k

rfire2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

So from what I understand from your question, you would like to sit at say school, and be able to PC Anywhere into your "my computer", going through the first computer that is being used as a router?? Does the first computer serve any other purpose other than being a router? What OS is on the first computer?

the 1st computer is using windows xp as well as mine... there is no router our setup is it the following: telephone line connected to a modem connected to the 1st computer that has 2 lan card and a cable connected to the 2nd lan card connected to my computer using a lan card as well. how can i port forward... the 1st computer is a workstation. our connection is for 2 users only lan card, cable lan card connection the 1st computer have 2 lan card for the DSL connection and the 2nd lan card for the LAN connection

Edited by rfire2k, 14 October 2005 - 04:02 AM.

rfire2k

rfire2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
bump

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

He simply has a DSL Modem (no router).

DSL doesn't use a modem. (neither does cable for that matter) People have gotten used to calling the connection devices for broadband "modems" and the term has stuck for the sake of simplicity. The ISP provides you with a router to connect to their network. What is the make model of DSL router you got from your ISP?

Edited by brianmil0923, 15 October 2005 - 10:55 PM.

rfire2k

rfire2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
@brianmil0923 i actually have no idea... the brand is nokia if ur where to ask what is the router ip i dunno either... is there setting in windows xp to port forwarding... and using ADSL connection. (sorry for the wrong information) is there any difference between ADSL and DSL??

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
ADSL is one of the xDSL technologies. It is also the ONLY one that is used in the home user market. The other forms (HDSL, SDSL) require dedicated connection lines so you are not able to share the line with other telephone equipment. Which is the major marketing point for DSL broadband connection to the home user market. You can be online and user the phone at the same time.......

As far as what model Nokia you have you can check your ISP's trobleshooting page to see if they list the model(s) they use. Once you have this information, you can figure out the default configuration address. For example Westell, Linksys and I beleive Netgear too, typically uses 192.168.1.1 to get to the router configuration.

Let me know what you find out...

Edited by brianmil0923, 16 October 2005 - 01:11 PM.