Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ok very odd problem

• Please log in to reply

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yea that's what i'm doing not_napster. its just now i have to get a XP boot disc. I dont' have any here and the customer of course didn't leave theirs. it's going to be tomorrow before i even get to it anymore. i had to finish a few other computers.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
tomato...i appologize if my tone sounded insulting...i didn't mean for it to come across that way...i appologize if i offended you....i was under the impression that the thing at least read...you said they brought it to you cuz it wouldn't burn....those are two different functions of the drive and are usually not interdependant....once again i appologize if i offended you..i've just been burned by too many "computer repair experts" or car mechanics....so i've got strong feelings on the subject...

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thanks you dsenette. it's cool. i understand were you are coming from about "computer experts" and what not. i'm not saying i'm that at all. i'm far from it. i do know enough to deal with 95% of all the problems that come into the store here, it's just the few that i don't know i ask about on here. i'm sorry that i wasn't clear in the first place about the cd drive not working at all. the customer told me it wouldn't burn. that's what i was going off. i found out later it wouldn't read also.

and as for the other problem i was having...i opened a new drive and used ERD commander to repair the boot.ini file. all it was was the file was looking for windows on the d drive, not c. i changed the partitaion from (2) to (1) and now it boots fine.

now it's just the part of telling the customer that the cd drive is dead, and not because of viruses messing with system files.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad we're on the same page again....and glad that you got past your little impass with the system....can i call you mater? (pronounced May-Ter...sorry i live in tennessee)