Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Hard drive SUDDENLY VANISHED!

• Please log in to reply

13thclue.com

13thclue.com

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hi!
My XP system will no longer detect my Seagate USB external drive.

The facts
1. It worked about 10 mins before I turned it off to move it.
2. The segate turns on and you can hear it running.
3. My Other external hard drives are detected
4. I've tried different USB cables to no avail.
5. The Seagate drive did drop about 6 inches onto my foot and some cables.
It's didn't seem like a harddrop at all though. My foot is fine.
6. I ran Add new Hardware, but XP did not find it.

any help is greatly appreciated!

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 13thclue.com, 11 October 2005 - 02:27 PM.

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hello!

Go to control panel~~>performance and maintenance~~>administrative tools (unless you have it on classic view, then just go directly to admin tools)

Double click computer management, go to disk management under the options on the left side. Does the disc drive show up here with the proper amount of storage?

If this is a brand new hard drive, you will need to format it here to get it set-up. You can format by right clicking the drive, after format is complete, make sure the drive is initialized here. Then it should show up as a second drive.

Now, if the drive was already formatted and was working as storage before...then that's a different issue. Was the drive working before?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
while you're in device manager make sure there arent any yellow ? anywhere...especially under the usb section

13thclue.com

13thclue.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the replies!

The drive does not show up in Device Manager, nor does it show in the Computer Management.

Yes, the drive worked before.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
So there are no errors listed in device manager under USB? Can you plug it into a second computer to make sure the drive actually works?

13thclue.com

13thclue.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I tried the USB drive in another computer and is not detected.

The drive itself is running, so it must be something with the USB whatever inside. WHAT CAN I DO?!

Please any help is appreciated!

thanks

13thclue.com

13thclue.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
hello. My Seagate USB hard drive's USB is not working. Meaning:

The Drive turns on, Runs, but the USB part doesn't seem to be communicating with my computer. It is not my computer!

What can I do to fix this? Anyone know how to open the encasing to get the drive itself out?

thank you!

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
First off, was the hard drive your talking about bought as an external hard drive or did you buy an internal drive and put it in a third party enclosure? If you bought it as an external, then i would highly reccomend NOT opening the enclosure, which would put your warrenty on thin ice, if not void it all together. Now so far as your problem, make sure that if the hard drive requires a USB 2.0 connection you are plugging it into a usb 2.0 socket. If this is all fine, then check to make sure your usb ports are all working. You can do this by plugging in a device such as a usb mouse or camera, etc. that you know works, and check to see if that device works in the port your planning on putting your hard drive into.

Please get back to me with the results and I'll go from there based on weather the ports work.

--Chris

13thclue.com

13thclue.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the reply!

This is a USB drive I bought all together. Like you said about the warrenty, I agree.
I checked my warrenty with Seagate and they will just replace the whole thing. I'd rather have the data on the drive.

The USB ports work with other external drives.
I've tried the same cables that work with others too.
So it seems to just be the Seagate.

thanks again!

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
No problem. One thing though? You said you had data on the drive that you wanted to save. Does this mean that the hard drive was working before? If so, what did you do/install/upgrade/download right before the hard drive stopped responding? And also, you did check to make sure it wasn't a USB 2.0 drive trying to be plugged into a standard USB port right? Because this is the most common reason for this type of problem.

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 11 October 2005 - 04:57 PM.

13thclue.com

13thclue.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The drive was working about 10 mins before it stopped.
Nothing changed at all except for this:

I unplugged it along with my other external drive to rearrange them.
The bad part is I think i dropped the drive. It fell about 6 inches onto powercables and my foot. So The impact was not harsh, though it seems pretty likely that that may be the cause...?

thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I merged your two topics as it appears you just started a new one about the same problem rather than continuing on with your original post !!

Murray

13thclue.com

13thclue.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks you, and Sorry about that.