Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ink Refill

• Please log in to reply

The G

The G

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Not sure if i should put this in here but if not just move :tazz:

I doubt this will get answered but you never know. Anyway i've been thinking of trying some of them ink refill kits. But a mate had some. So i thought why not i will give it a shot they look like this if that helps.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now i've filled each hole up in my cartridge which look like this of course without the box

Posted Image

Theres 5 tiny holes i have filled with each colour but the picture come's out darker then it should, have i done it right ?.

Oh and i have a bottle of flush how do i flush out the cartridge.

Edited by The G, 11 October 2005 - 03:05 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Basically with those particular HP black cartridges, you are only supposed to inject the ink through one of the 5 holes. When you look at the placement of the holes, you will see that 4 of the holes are grouped together in pairs (2 on the left side, 2 on the right side). The fifth hole is central & located slightly above (or below) the other 4 holes. This fifth hole is the one you normally fill.

___O (5) - fill hole

O (3) O (4)

O (1) O (2)

To be honest, I don't know what happens if you fill the other 4 holes. I suspect it doesn't do any harm, its just unnecessary. If the inks now being printed too dark (i.e using too much ink), there could be a couple of possible reasons for this :

1. Immediately after filling, you are supposed to wait until the cartridge stops dripping before reinstalling it back in the printer. If you didn't do this, I suggest you remove the cartridge & make sure it isn't still dripping now & then maybe run the cleaning cycle in the HP software.

2. The print quality settings may need adjusting (e.g ink volume & print quality/resolution)

3. Not all inks are the same. HP black ink is likely to be slightly different to generic ink and this may explain the differences you are noticing are refilling.

With the colour cartridges, the layout of the holes is the same but this time fill hole No. 5 with Magenta, No. 4 with cyan, No. 3 with yellow.

Re. the cartridge flush. Do not fill the cartridge with flush! The flush is only needed if the print head on the cartridge has dried up or needs cleaning. To clean, use a lint free cloth, dip it in the flush & gently wipe the print head (copper strip).
If the print head is dried up, then pour some of the flush into a shallow bowl & let the printhead stand in it to soak for a couple of hours.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Thx for getting back to me and explaining that in such a simple way. Just a quick question i take it i dont need to fill colour holes 1 and 2 then ?

On a side note i messed up again today i put Cyan in hole 5 i put magenta in hole 4 but i did put yellow in hole 3, So i am gonna have to get all the ink out of this cartridge again tommorow and this time at least it will be done right.

Edited by The G, 12 October 2005 - 08:58 AM.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
:tazz: Just had a go at it and i did everything but know it comes out light green, is there a way to get ALL the ink out of my cartridge so that i know its not mixing with the old colours i messed up on ? like to drain it out so theres no ink in, so that way i can start fresh over.

Oh and to add, the number 5 colour hole on mine is light blue so would cyan go there instead of magenta. Hole 3 is yellow so thats cool and the 4th hole looks a really dark colour so maybe my magenta goes in that hole ?

But the funny thing is when i print a test page out (which on my printer is a butterfly) it comes out right with all the colours on the wings and such :)

Edited by The G, 12 October 2005 - 04:20 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi G
If the coloured holes in your cartridge are marked differently to the diagram I did, then go with the cartridge markings. The diagram I drew was based on the colour version of the No27 cartridge (56/57 I believe) which is what I assume you have. However, the markings on the actual cartridge are more likely to be accurate than I am!

If you know you have filled one of the chambers with the wrong colour, then I'm not sure what you can do about that other than maybe syringe the ink back out as much as possible, let the rest drain out of the fill hole overnight, then refill with the correct colour. The resulting colour will still be wrong but hopefully not too noticably.

Also bear in mind that sometimes if you overfill a cartridge, some ink will leak out of the printhead. This may result in the first colour page that you print after refilling, being the wrong colours due to the excess ink mixing together on the print head.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Yeah sorry i should have said which ink number it was its a Tri-Colour 28, you were close though :) .

I think what i will do is since i know 100% that the yellow is in the right hole i will get as much ink out of the two holes i messed up on and then maybe, i think i will flood the two holes with water untill the flulid that comes out is clear that way i know the hole is clean as can be.

Thx for the advice Samm you've been a great help :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, sounds like a reasonable plan. Make sure though that you flush one at a time & tape over the top of the fill holes for the colours that you aren't flushing to stop contamination.

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I might as well just give up on it i have done everything right to the tee. yet when it prints the colours all over the place i have done a cleaning cycle in the my HP software 3 times, but yet it still wont have it. but theres two things i dont get when i print a test page the colours perfect, and in my HP Director it says the inks are not full or are empty how can this be ? maybe the computer telling the printer to use the wrong colours because it thinks they are low or something ?

Edited by The G, 13 October 2005 - 07:27 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i know it would be like...admitting defeat...but....i think it would be best to get a new cartrige and...well..now that you know how to do it right....you can refil it once it's empty...

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
You know what i think your right to be honest, now the stupid thing is printing all the picture green but yet the test page is the normal colour :tazz:

£33 its gonna cost me to get my ink.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
youch....sorry guy...but....you live you learn...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try britink

http://www.britink.c...LETTPACKARD.htm

12 for 27 black and 15 for 28 colour

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The G:

Just so you know for future reference, after you refill HP cartridges, very often the ink status monitor will not show you the correct level of ink - this is normal behaviour & to be expected.

Other points worth remembering in case you decide to refill again :

1. Try to refill cartridges before they are completely empty.

2. Do not over fill them

3. After drawing up ink into the syringe, squirt the very first bit of ink back into the bottle. This should eliminate any trapped air in the syringe.

4. When injecting the ink, squirt it in really slowly

5. For cartridges with printheads, always wait for the ink to stop dripping after refilling before installing back in the printer & never touch the printhead if you can help it

The G

The G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Well i have to say thx for all the help guys on this one although i did not do what i set out to do, i now know everything i need to know in the future.

So again a big thx :tazz: