Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Defragment

• Please log in to reply

z-a

z-a

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,
I keep having trouble with using my disk defragmenter. I can use the scan disk just fine but whenever I try to defrag, it keep restarting and usually can't even get 1% through. I don't know too much about computers but was wondering how I can fix this. Also, I've had BigFix pop up when I stop the defrag and it tells me to try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete and closing all other programs running except for Explorer, Systray, and BigFix I think. if there is any way you can help me, please let me know. thanks

Edited by z-a, 11 October 2005 - 03:04 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Turn off any screensavers and go into Safe Mode to run it.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
You say that you don't know too much so excuse me if I add to tyger's post:

To get into safe mode constantly tap f8 on boot up. You will be presented with the startup menu.

Select Safe Mode. Your screen will look odd ( minimal colours). Safe Mode in all 4 cormers.

To turn off Screen Saver:

My Computer > Control Panel > Display > Screen Saver (select none)

also:

You may need to disable your AntiVirus. There is usually an icon in the task bar (bottom right) right click and there should be an option to disable.

:tazz:

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Hey guys,
I keep having trouble with using my disk defragmenter. I can use the scan disk just fine but whenever I try to defrag, it keep restarting and usually can't even get 1% through. I don't know too much about computers but was wondering how I can fix this. Also, I've had BigFix pop up when I stop the defrag and it tells me to try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete and closing all other programs running except for Explorer, Systray, and BigFix I think. if there is any way you can help me, please let me know. thanks

Tyger and 1069 hve told you everything, wud ask you whether u have the minimum free space required for the built in defragmenter to run which is about 15%. If not, you could do a disk cleanup (which wud be a gud idea anyways bfore the defrag) and then run it in safe mode.
I wouldnt mind recommending a third party tool either as its much faster and to defrag ur drives regularly they have smart features to run it automatically.

z-a

z-a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, thanks guys a lot. I"ll give it a try.