Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

re-registering a computer

• Please log in to reply

jw999

jw999

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently bought an HP laptop, discounted because it was the retailer's demonstration model. The Windows "System" shows it as officially registered to the retailer, and consequently (I suppose) a number of structural settings and names (eg user account, Documents and Settings) also show up in the retailer's name. I re-named the user account in my own name, but I'd really like to know if there's any way of going back and re-setting or re-registering myself as the official owner/user, so that the file structure doesn't keep showing the retailer's name. Any ideas gratefully received ...

Advertisements

Cadence

Cadence

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I found this:

http://www.dougknox....hange_owner.htm

it lets you change the registered owner.

If that doesn't work you have to edit the registry. You must be logged in as an administrator and you may have to do it in safe mode if the changes don't take effect.

You should be extremeley careful when editing the registry.

Go to start>run and type regedit, then hit enter.

when the registry editor opens, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Mircosoft>Windows NT>Current Version. In the right hand pane, find the entry "RegisteredOwner". Double click it and in the Value Data field type the name you want and click OK. Then close the registry editor: File>exit

jw999

jw999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much! I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on. Very kind of you to answer so promptly ...

Cadence

Cadence

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Thanks so much! I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on. Very kind of you to answer so promptly ...

View Post

no problem! :tazz:

jw999

jw999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Success! Very many thanks!