Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No browser connectivity

• Please log in to reply

jtstp

jtstp

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Apparently, due to malware, I am unable to connect to the Internet using either the Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox browser. I have been working with a Geeks to Go Malware Removal Expert, who referred me here for additional help.

I have included below, a brief summary of what has happened, so far. For complete details, please review the following post: http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=66148.

I initially received a Norton alert regarding Bloodhound.W32.EP virus. The antivirus software could not remove the virus. Shortly after receiving the alert, the computer powered off and restarted without my prompt. After the restart, there was a high level of system idle process activity. During this time, I still had access to the Internet using the Internet Explorer web browser. After shutting down and restarting the computer, I could not access the Internet using my web browser. An online CD title database, however, retained the ability to access the Internet. Additionally, the CD drive is inoperable from normal mode, but can be used in safe mode.

Working with a Geeks to Go expert, we have taken a variety of steps to attempt to remove the malware. We briefly restored Internet access via web browser by doing a repair reinstall of WinXP, then running WinXPFix.exe, then reinstalling my ISP software. After re-booting the computer, however, browser access was lost. Running WinXPFix.exe and reinstalling my ISP software (but not doing another WinXP repair reinstall) did not restore access. We discovered and apparently resolved a device problem with a recently-installed ALi USB 2.0 card.

My computer connects to the Internet via USB connection to a Motorola cable modem. I have successfully connected to this modem using my office laptop through its Ethernet connection. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey jtstp

One of the first things you want to check is under control panel/network connections/Local Area Connection/properties...On the Authentication tab you DO NOT want "Enable IEEE 802.1X Authentication for this network" checked.

Next, right click on Local Area Connection and click repair.

Let me know how you make out....

Edited by brianmil0923, 11 October 2005 - 05:01 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
edited by spacecowboy706

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 13 October 2005 - 07:25 PM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Do you have your MS Windows Firewall enabled?? If so, try turning it off, and see if you can connect. If that works, go back, enable the firewall, and set it to default settings, you should be ok..

Greazy Mcgeezy

jtstp

jtstp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hey jtstp

One of the first things you want to check is under control panel/network connections/Local Area Connection/properties...On the Authentication tab you DO NOT want "Enable IEEE 802.1X Authentication for this network" checked.

Next, right click on Local Area Connection and click repair.

Let me know how you make out....

Unchecked as instructed. Got the following msg.: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Renewing your IP address..."

jtstp

jtstp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Do you have your MS Windows Firewall enabled?? If so, try turning it off, and see if you can connect. If that works, go back, enable the firewall, and set it to default settings, you should be ok..

Greazy Mcgeezy

Don't believe I have MS Windows Firewall enabled. Where would I check? I do have ZoneAlarm firewall. Thanks for your input.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
In your control panel you should see an icon for the "Windows Firewall Settings", in there you should be able to disable. You will also want to disable Zone Alarm for the initial testing. If it works, you can start slowly enable stuff to troubleshoot for issues, but if all firewalls are off and you still have no connectivity, then we go on to find the problem.

jtstp

jtstp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The Windows firewall was not enabled. I disabled ZoneAlarm, but still no connectivity. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my cable modem drivers several times, used WinFix, etc., all without success.

Interestingly, my SonicStage software continues to be able to connect to the Internet, including a connection to the Sony connect.com website.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Please be specific, are you using Winfix or Winfixer??