Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help getting a new graphic card

• Please log in to reply

joshoo

joshoo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a comp that is a few years old and there are many games that I can't play on it because of my graphic card. I need one with pixel shading. I want to know if I can buy a graphic card and replace my current one with it. Is this possible? If so what are some good ones that are reasonably priced? Where can I get them and what do I need to do to install them? If this is not possible what do I need to do? I am trying to play Black & White 2. I have attached the readme.txt so you can see the requirements for the game.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Tempest210

Tempest210

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
What type of system are you running?
Is it an Integrated Graphics system or does it have an AGP Video card? (Advanced Graphics Port)

If it has Integrated Graphics (The video is built into the motherboard) then you need to open the case and see if you have an AGP slot. (Not all systems with Integrated Graphics do.) It should be brown in color and set back a bit unlike the white PCI slots.

If you do have an AGP slot, you will need to know if it’s 4x or 8x as some 8x AGP cards will not work in a 4x slot.
You can also go into your systems BIOS for AGP speeds if you don't know what it might be.

Check ATI’s or nVidia web sites for more info on AGP card speeds.

Once you know the above info, you can then start shopping for a card.