Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan.Vundo - no start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

libscopsdups

libscopsdups

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My home PC (Compaq Presario notebook - Windows XP SP 1) was infected with trojan.vundo, following the instructions from Norton Anti-Virus Website (my so called anti-virus software) I downloaded a tool, and tried to re-boot in safe mode to complete the fix. My computer refused to completely start in safe mode, so there were no icons, no way to get to task manager or CLP. Next I attempted a Windows XP Restore using the CD that came with my PC (the PC is only 1 year old), it runs through the restore, but when it tries to reboot to complete the restore process, it boots in safe mode with no icons, task manager, CLP and says it cannot complete the restore in safe mode, it re-boots and begins the horrible cycle all over again....is there anything else I can do short of sending it back to Compaq???

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi libscopsdups! Welcome to G2G!

First thing I would you to do is download VundoFix and save it to a floppy disk. Then I want you to boot up the infected computer and once there, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager, then I want you to click FILE and then NEW TASK (RUN) and type in: a:\VundoFix.exe.

Post back if you are/aren't able to do this and how things are going after being able to run it.

Fenor

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go libscopsdups

Yes this can be fixed! Can I invite you to visit read This and then post a log in the Malware Forum not here. Once they say you are clean and if you are still having problems some back here and we will help you.

Edit: Fenor got in while I was replying. When they say they have malware we send them to the malware foum. I hope your fix dose solve their problem.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 11 October 2005 - 06:41 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes I agree with Michael Buckley's suggestion, so please do that first. If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert there, then please return to THIS thread and we will help you further to help solve this situation.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 11 October 2005 - 07:04 PM.

libscopsdups

libscopsdups

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried to boot and then hit ctrl/alt/del (which normally takes you to task manager) gets no reponse...literally I cannot do anything but boot/re-boot, the safe mode screen that comes up is totally blank....I have tried to chose another method to boot (ie Normal or Safe Mode with CLP) and it only starts in the safe mode that is a blank screen....Maybe I need to send it back to Compaq...I wish I didn't have to lose all of my data. :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Go to the Malware fourm! You have malware and they can fix it. They see things like this all the time.

Please read my other post again and do what it said.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 11 October 2005 - 06:53 PM.