Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Advanced File Serving Woes Under XP

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i recently revamped the way my LAN is setup and put together something of a ghetto network-attached closet datacenter machine. it is running Windows XP SP2, albeit with many unneccessary things disabled. it's basic job is to act as a data and print server for my LAN. i realize that this can be "better" accomplished via Linux but have never really liked it enough to deal with all the hassle involved. however, i am open to trying it or other OS's out if XP proves unable to do what i want.
the issue in question is this: i'm using the Windows LANMan/Samba facility to make a crapload of stuff available to other machines on the network. i am currently stuck with several large partitions which do the same thing, which has resulted in redundant shares being present. i would like to know if there is any way to map the contents of multiple directories to a single symbolic share.

to the end user it's like this: say i have two places in the filesystem which both hold data of the same kind (CD images for the sake of argument). i would like to be able to go to a single share and see all the files/directories of that category shared together. i realize this method of displaying & accessing files would neccessitate read-only access (after all to which destination would files go?)

at this point i'm at the end of my knowledge about what is do-able via the OS, NTFS file system, and 3rd party software. i AM aware that the NTFS file system can do what are called "junctions", but unless i totally don't understand how those work they won't do what i'm trying to do here.

any ideas?