Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have a pretty old HDD in a new computer... I put this HDD in about a year ago I did erase the HDD and install a fresh new OS on it and it worked fine for about 6 months but when I play games of any sort after a certain amount of time my computer will send off a siren like alarm not through the speakers but from the case somewhere. The power supply doesnt seem overly hot by the HDD is really hot.
Sometimes while sending IM's my computer beeps also but only under certain sn's... this beep is a real short beep the other is like a two tone alarm and lasts forever.
I am running windows XP home with an abit motherboard and AMD athlon 3200+ and isnt overclocked or anything has a gig of memory a 5200 fx video card and a 350w antec power supply.
the alarm to me makes it seem like an overheating issue so i tried to leave the case open and it rarely ever went off while using it.

The games my brother plays on it arent even games you install or anything. Its free games you can play online at like yahoo or somewhere like dxball and stuff. Sometimes it goes off while he watches clips of wrestling videos on wwe.com or something

My question is do u think a new HDD will fix the problem or could it be caused by something else like the CPU or mobo? if you need any more information just ask

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi redcrypt!

I would like you to download and install Motherboard Monitor. It is a tool that will show the temp of your computer and also show the voltages for your power supply, which will give us a better idea of what exactly is causing your problem.

Please post back once you have it installed and we will go from there.

Fenor

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok i installed MBM5370 and my idle processor temp is 51 degrees C. case temp is 40 degrees C. For some reason my case fans arent working.

Do you think I need a new heatsink and fan or just thermal paste or a whole new CPU? The CPU is an amd athlon 3200+ and a little over a year old
Just saw the link at bottom of post under your name... that one works, just not the one in the main post

Edited by redcrypt, 15 October 2005 - 01:39 AM.