Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows will not boot

• Please log in to reply

Sports_photographer

Sports_photographer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, I've tried re-installing Windows 98 SE with the recovery disk that came with the computer (Dell Deminsion 4100) and that hasn't worked. When I restart the system the Windows Logo comes up and goes straight into MS-DOS mode with C:\> appearing. I've tried running scanreg/fix, but it does not work. I've already ran scanreg/restore which that has been the only thing to function correctly. When I run scanreg, the program informs me that my HIMEM.SYS file is missing. I've even tried replacing the 256 memory with a new 256 memory module ... still no luck. Which takes me back to trying to re-install Windows and back to the same frustrating problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Stephen

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sports_photographer...Welcome to G2G!

To replace the missing file...

Start your computer with CD-ROM support by using your Windows 98 startup disk.
Insert the Windows 98 Recovery CD into the CD or DVD-ROM drive.
Type the following command line (where drive is the drive letter of the CD or DVD-ROM drive), and then press Enter: D:

Note: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of Windows, your Windows installation files may be located in the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder on the hard disk.

Type the following command line, and then press "Enter": cd\win98
Type the following command line, and then press "Enter": extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows base4.cab himem.sys

After the file is extracted, restart your computer.

wannabe1

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Are any of these links useful?

http://www.computerh...es/ch000425.htm

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=296636

http://support.micro....com/?id=116253

Sports_photographer

Sports_photographer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the helpful info everyone. I was looking forward to putting the info to use. Unfortunately, I think I have bigger problems now. The CPU hasn't been shutting down completely unless I unplug it from the outlet, and as of yesterday, it seemed to be running at half power. The CD-ROM and DVD player would open and close ... that was about it. Nothing would appear on screen. I guess it's time to either take 'er in for a full 'body' exam ... or save up for a new desktop.

Stephen