Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow perfomance

• Please log in to reply

Albino

Albino

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section, feel free to move it if you want.

I'm having a little trouble with the performance of my PC. Running windows and small applications is fine, but when playing games, what tends to happen is they will run fine at first, but then become laggy and slow, up to a certain point when all of a sudden it all goes back to normal again, running perfectly smooth. Then the whole process wil start again, go slow, then be fine again. This has happened with games like GTA: Vice City and Counterstrike. It's only a minor problem, but after a while it's annoying, so if anyone has any ideas what's wrong, then I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Albino. :tazz:

Advertisements

Saturos

Saturos

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I would say your computer is infected with spyware, but since the problem only occures when you're playing games, it seems unlogical.

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Well, thing is, it's only just started to happen, but about 4 months ago I had some spyware etc, but I got it all cleaned up, had my HiJack log checked etc. So yesterday to see if it was spyware again, I did a spyware check and virus check, using Ewido, Ad-Aware and Spy bot and AVG, and absolutly nothing came up. I defragemented this morning which only took 17 mins, but still I have a problem.... overheating wouldn't cause this would it? I have a mini fridge next to my comp and it gets a little warm down there.... or am I just randomly guessing now?

thanks

albino

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

It could very well be heat especially when playing games because of the extra stress on the cpu and the heat the vide card builds up when playing games.

List your full system specs or name brand and model of the computer.

Are you monitoring your temps, if so list them.

Rick

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi,

Okay, not being too great with computers and all, this is what I know about mine!

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800FSB
RAM: 512 MB DDR
Hard Drive: 120 GB
Optical Drive: 16x DVD-RW Drive (+/-) Dual Layer
Monitor: 17in TFT
Graphics Card: 256Bit 64MB(max) Onboard Graphics
Operating System: Windows XP Home

That's all I know really, don't know any makes or anything....I could find out if you tell me how though.

Thanks

Albino