Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help needed

• Please log in to reply

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hmm can somone pls help .....i have a bit bm6 motherboard 1 socket 370,2 isa 5pci.agp,3 sdr dim an 1440 bx chip in im runnin a intel celeron 500 in it with pci matrox millenium grphic card.
i just wana know how to change my bios as its like 2 years old an graphic card bois is fro 1995 an a manual for my motherboard as i cant find one.as i wana see if i can get more out my cpu..there was 366 cpu in before when i go in bios it reads the old cpu i cant change anythin so any helpful im runnin win me on this comp

thanks

Edited by Kathryn22, 12 October 2005 - 07:12 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should be able to go to the abit website and find a bios flash utility and the manual for your board...assuming it's still under support. you can also go to your graphic card manufacturer's website and get the new drivers for the graphics card...if there are any

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
iv been to both sites there dont seem to be a driver for the card an when i down load the manual it dont work...an to be honest i hav no idea bout updating my bois i have down loaded the files i need but no idea where to start

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as far as the bios...inside the zip file that you downloaded there should be a readme file...or at least on the site that you downloaded it from..it's usually a matter of extracting the file to your hard drive and booting from a boot disk...then running their utility..

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hmm the comp cant read my adrive(floppy)an at beginning im gettin the msg cpu not workable or been changed go in to soft menu i go in try chnge it to 500 from 366 it wont...help

Kathryn22

Kathryn22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried a few different floppy drives one i have in at moment just says it cant read it im guessin this might be the driver iv tried to find one but i cant the floppy drive is a sony mpf 920-e...just wondering as i have changed the cpu from 366 intel celeron to fv524rx500....the bois seems stuck in to the old setting for cpu.yet the new cpu works.would it work better with the right setting as it slow as [bleep] at moment.I know i need to change my bois only problem is i need my computer to read my floppy to do it.an im runnin out of ideas pls help any advice would be great

thanks for your time

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you load Windows then try to read the floppy it probably won't because of the file type

You should boot the PC then keep tapping delete until it enters set up

Look for fail safe defaults, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm then press enter to reboot and load to the desktop

If this has not changed anything then you need to return to set up and set the boot priority to A Drive then C insert the floppy disc, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm then press enter

Follow the instructions to reflash the BIOS

Make sure you have the correct file to flash the BIOS as most are irreversible

wannabecompnerd

wannabecompnerd

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey umm are u planning on buying a new computer anytime soon cuz i believs isa is very very old and intel celeron cpus are bad if u do have money u can get a decent computer for a couple hundred dollars and never ever buy from dell or compaq or any big corporation cuz they purposely put bad quality parts and software that u have to spend more money on useless software and hardware upgrades. get a custom computer

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wannabecompnerd- we never suggest to buy a new computer unless they were planning on doing so to begin with. plus i would be inclined to agree with your statement about bad parts..if you said gateway..but dell and compaq use industry standard parts at industry standard prices....so your'e a little off base....but...we will not take this thread in that direction...please keep your coments constructive and on topic please.

wannabecompnerd

wannabecompnerd

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok

p.s nice monkey pic