Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPN in XP pro

• Please log in to reply

mechnut

mechnut

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello Everyone!
I am having a problem with connecting two remote workgroups via VPN. Here are the specs:

Workgroup 1 Named CCC
20 peer to peer computers running Windows 2000 and XP Pro
1.5M DSL Internet connection using Linksys VPN router and 10/100 switches and Cat 5e cable
All computers on this lan can see and share files, no connection issues

Workgroup 2 named Workgroup
5 peer to peer computers running XP Pro
Cable modem internet connection running about 1.5M to 4.0M very fast, using Linksys router (no Vpn) with Dell Gigabit switch cat 5 cable( soon to be rewired with cat6)
All computers on this Lan can connect and share files and printers no connection issues

What I am trying to accomplish
Connect one Workgroup computer to the CCC workgroup via Microsofts VPN so that I can access a database program.

Heres where I am at
I set up a VPN server on one computer on CCC workgroup, forwarded the 1723 port on the router to this computer.
I set up MS VPN client on one computer connected to WORKGROUP and it will connect to the server on CCC. ( the locations are about 3 miles apart, no line of sight) I connected and go to the other sight and see the computer connected to the server in Network connections. I can ping both compters, the server pings the client and the client can ping the server, both no loss of packets. The connection stays connected for at least 4 hours, (while trying different things)

PROBLEM: Once connected I cannot map any network drives, connect or see any shared folders/drives. I have enabled Netbios on both ends, the client connects using anpassword protected account name. The account name is exactly the same on both computers. I have disabled XP simple file sharing and given the account administrator permissions on both ends.Pinging using netshare does not show the remote shares either way, client server or server client. I have checked the services enabled on both ends and have terminal services enabled as well as remote access. I have checked and both ends are set to allow remote connections. I believe I am connected, just cannot see or connect to any shares. ( I have read and re read Bobs web pages about VPNs) One last note, the VPN server is on the computer that holds the data I want to access. I have the VPN server set to assign IP range 192.168.1.200 to .225 Both LANS use 192.168.1.###. I cannot connect with remote desktop either and that is enabled. If I try to connect with remote desktop after the VPN is connected I get error saying cannot complete more than one cannection instance, shows it is connected via VPN. If I try to connect RD without VPN message says cannot find host/computer. IDEAS? PLEASE!

:tazz:

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Have you checked the "Shared Permissions"? I'm sure you know that there are "Security NTFS Permissions" and "Share Permissions". Are you able to see the C$ share across the VPN? Also, maybe check the Windows Firewall settings if running SP2. Make sure to enable "File and Printer Sharing". I'm assuming you have done this already since these pc's are already on a network. Are you running an Active Directory Domain or a Workgroup?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

mechnut

mechnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have set the share permissions to administrator. I have removed XP's simple file share and access with an admin account. I have enabled the ports on the firewall and even turned the firewall off temp. I cannot see anything. I cannot map to a drive or search for and find one either. I dunno what to try next. I do know the VPN is connecting, but thats where it all stops. I can see the connection if I go to the remote site and check the network connections. From both ends it shows to be connected, but I cannot access anything.

mechnut

mechnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No more ideas? ANYONE!

lkmanley

lkmanley

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am also starting to look into the possibility of connecting two workgroups via VPN and in my searches found the following

http://www.experts-e...Q_21147081.html (scroll all the way down to see answers/replies)

which seems to have gotten a bit farther than yours did.

I also was wondering if perhaps the two workgroups needed to have the same workgroup name to make it happen.

mechnut

mechnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just a quick note. I did try changing the workgroups to the same name, no difference. If you physically take a computer to the other workgroup location it can browse the workgroup and access all the shares, it just does not work when connected via VPN. I will read the article you linked to and see if there is any helpful info there. Keep me posted an how yours turns out, I am interested in hearing if anyone makes this work like Microsoft says it will.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Mechnut

When you are connected with the VPN, are you able to map a drive to the second workgroup share, are you able to open a run command and \\computer name\share name to it?

mechnut

mechnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No the \\computer\share is not found. I have tried searching for the computer, I have looked in My Network Neighborhood, I have tried to map to a drive and share, the message comes back "cannot find \\computer\share. The log on with the VPN does complete, you see it on the computer when logging in and physically going to the remote location you can see the connection in "Incoming Connections"

BlackSea

BlackSea

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
do you use firewall , if yes does it support vpn?
in additionally...use (icmp)ping to check Neighborhood machines.?

take care
have :tazz:

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Check out this link, seems to be giving some good step by step instructions, things to check, Covers 98, 2000, hopefully....... :tazz:

http://www.multitech...ls/S000260B.pdf

Advertisements

mechnut

mechnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok just read the last two replies. First yes I use a firewall. I have forwarded the port 1723 that Microsofts VPN uses to the vpn server and I do connect to it. Is the firewall causing my problem, I'm not sure it is not, however once connected to the vpn server I find it unlikely that the firewall would block mapping network drives. I mean if it lets me into the workgroup, why and how would it block me once inside? Wouldnt it jst block the connection from being established? Unless I misunderstand the vpn, once I am authenticated and signed on I should appear to the workgroup as just another computer, shouldn't I? Ok now for the article Spank referenced, I will read it and see if it helps any. Just a note on this issue, it is still happening or ongoing. I have just loaded another computer with XP Pro and am going to try playing around with login on scripts on it. I am setting it up to be a mirror copy of the one I really want to access. I am doing this so I can get really into some serious attempts at making a good workable connection without fear of data loss or computer meltdown! So with that note any ideas or suggestions send em on! thanks for all the replies, this is an old posting now but it is still unresolved at this point. An update on things tried, I tried two other VPN programs that claimed seemless operation, neither of tehm even connected. I have been able to duplicate the connection going both ways and I am getting inside each workgroup, just cant do anything. Success is just one more attempt away, lets just hope I reach that attempt SOON!

BlackSea

BlackSea

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
i still think there is nothing to do with your os but its still possible :tazz: ...

as i said your firewall and router...
lets make clear vpn?:vpns are used to tunnel traffic securely from point x to poit y usually over internet.
checkpoint and cisco have rolled vpn sevices into their firewall and also many firewall products offer both client to enterprice vpn functionality as well as lan to lan functionality, others not(must not use all personall firewall(like zonealarm),and fireawall which is built in winxp pro).so that s why i asked about firewall and router ..by the way make sure your router configured well ..because we re human being we can miss someting sometimes.
whats your firewall(packet filter base, stateful packet filter,and so on?)and you should go to its web page and check out config or is it right firewall to use for you.
i dont know use the http or soap to try to bypass the your firewall.

important for firewall and ports:(you must keep also this ports )
http://support.intel...b/CS-016090.htm

here is some links can help you:

http://www.homenethelp.com/vpn/
http://www.microsoft...g_VPN_und05.asp
http://www.cisco.com...0080172852.html
http://ca.huji.ac.il...pn/vpnw2k.shtml
http://kb.indiana.ed...?osecat=connect
http://www.secinf.ne...cing_miniHOWTO/
for nt pvn
http://www.net.ttu.e...pn/winNTvpn.htm

take care
smiley day ;) :thumbsup:

simonduz

simonduz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there. I am new to the board and found this thread via Google while looking for a resolution to the exact same problem.

So did you find a fix?

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Not sure if there was ever a resolution to this problem, but, a couple of points... one, make sure the router can use IPSec Passthrough (you'll need to select 'Use IPSec over TCP'. This is the main problem when you can connect, but can't go any where on the network

point two, a remote computer can not use the same ip schema as your lan...
if one is 192.168.1.*, the other can't be the same, it has to be 192.168.25.* or something else

Also make sure the time on both computers is set exactly the same

Satanman

Satanman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem, and in the linksys router I had to also forward UDP port 500 to the VPN connection machine. Also, set trigger ports to TCP port 47 and UDP port 50. This works for me on windows 2000 and P pro