Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Excel

• Please log in to reply

shurl

shurl

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm having problems with my Excel application. When I click on it to open it, it opens up and I can see it for a second and then it instantly shuts itself down. If I reboot my computer, it will work correctly for a brief period of time, but then the same thing starts happening again. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

shurl

shurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm having problems with my Excel application. When I click on it to open it, it opens up and I can see it for a second and then it instantly shuts itself down. If I reboot my computer, it will work correctly for a brief period of time, but then the same thing starts happening again. Any suggestions?

Ok...help me a little more. I'm not sure where to look for systems :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in the event viewer there should be 3 tabs on the left side application system and security.....we don't care about the security one...just the app and system

shurl

shurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Ok...help me a little more. I'm not sure where to look for systems :tazz:

OK...I saw the rest of your directions of what to type when I go to start and then run. There are several red x's . They all either say "Autoenrollment" or "userenv" under source.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are they at the same time as the excell crashes?....is there anything under the application logg with anything red?

shurl

shurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
On the system tab, the red x's say "W32Time" under the source. I can't really tell if it's happening at the same time or not.

Edited by shurl, 12 October 2005 - 10:48 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you click on one of those usernv ones and post the dtail? the same with the autoenrolement

shurl

shurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here is what it says on the system error W32Time:
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 29 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Here is the application error autoenrollment one:
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Enrollment will not be performed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

And the application error userenv one:
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...well obviously your computer is part of a domain...is this a work computer? and neither of those corresponds to the excel issue...

do you have your office disk?

shurl

shurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it is a work computer although I'm not located at the work site and it is only connected to my personal internet connection. It is not networked anywhere. I do have the office disks. Should I insert them and try reinstalling?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maybe....or just put the cd in and try to start excell

shurl

shurl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts