Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost file system on hard drive

• Please log in to reply

tacomakid62

tacomakid62

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: I am having problems and I hope you can help me. I am running xp pro sp2 on my machine. I have a 200gb western digital drive that I partitioned into two drives. The other day I tried to open the second drive and it said it was corrupted and would not open. It appeared in win explorer but there were no files on it. I went into computer management and the drive was still partitioned but the ntfs file system was no longer there. Prior to this I had installed norton internet security and updated this. I also down loaded and installed microsoft office 2000 update. I have a feeling I have a virus but norton antivirus could not find anything. I have looked for answers but I am not as savey when it comes to this stuff. Can anyone help me solve this major problem?

Advertisements

DeviousTrap

DeviousTrap

systems administrator

• Community Leader
  • 5,649 posts
If you believe it was a virus or a piece for spyware/malware that did it you should go to the HijackThis forum and paste a log.

As for getting the files back I've had good luck with R-Stuidio's undelete, but it runs about $60 if I remember correctly.

They have a demo version availablen at http://www.r-undelete.com/ which would show you whether or not it would be able to recover the files. However, if you want it to recover them you would need to purchase a license.

tacomakid62

tacomakid62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the reply devioustrap,
I have done some more investigating and found there are new users under my local users file in the computer management console: control panel/computermanagement/local users and groups/users/....
these new users are:
Name: support_388945a0
Full Name: CN=Microsoft Corporation,L=redmond, s=washington,c=us
Description: This is a vendor's account for help and support service

Name: HelpAssistant
Full NAme: Remote Destop Help Assistant Account
Desc: Account for Providing Remote Assistance

NAme: IUSR_TIM(where Tim is the name of my computer)
Full Name: Internet Guest Account
Desc: Built in account for anonymous access to Internet Information Services

Name: IWAN_TIM
Full Name: Launch IIS Process Account
Desc. Built in account for Internet Information Services to statr out of process applicstions

When I set up my users I only have administrator and myself as users. No one else Has access to my pc. Are these legitimate users? I have never seen them before and I do not know where they came from. I have tried to figure out what these are but I cannot comprehend all this at one time. My eyes are begining to go crossed and my brain is fried. Can you give me some answers?
Thanks