Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removeable HDD problem.

• Please log in to reply

lydokane

lydokane

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am running Windows XP Pro. My original setup was:

Primary Master: 200 GB Magnetic Data Technologies (C:)
Primary Slave: 120 GB Western Digital hard drive in a removeable caddy (E:)

Secondary Master: Memorex DVD Burner (D:)
Secondary Slave: Pioneer DVD Burner (F:)

The 200 GB Magnetic Data Technologies had my operating system and files on it. The 120 GB WD was a backup drive that has about 115 GB of MP3 files and some back up data on it.

The 200 Gig drive took a dump and I replaced it with a Seagate 80 GB drive and reinstalled Windows XP Pro with SP2 and all the necessary updates and hotfixes.

Before I did the format/install on the Seagate I removed the WD 120 GB and set it aside. I got Windows up and running then I put the 120 back in the caddy so that I could retrieve some of my backed up data.

The drive is a removable drive that goes into a caddy and the caddy slides into a bay that is plugged into the PC as though it were a Primary Slave. To put the drive in I have to power down then install the drive and reboot. When the system rebooted I opened the Windows Explorer and I could see my drive. The volume label was MP3 Jukebox (E:). I started to navigate to where my backup data was when the computer 'found new hardware' and the Explorer closed down. The system installed the 'new hardware' and told me so. I reopened the explorer and my MP3 Jukebox (E:) was no longer there. All I had was an Local Disk (F:) drive (as well as the two DVD burners). When I clicked on the F: drive in the tree in the left pane of the explorer, I was told that 'The disk in drive F is not formated. Do you want to format it now?' I clicked no. Now I can't get into the drive. I went to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management and changed the drive letter to E: but I still can't access the drive. Windows wants me to format. I DO NOT want to format this drive.

Is there any way to get to my files. The drive has NOT been formated. All the files should be there... right? What can I do?

Thanks,

-Lydokane-

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hello!

Just a thought for you to check out. Please go to control panel~~>administration tools~~>computer management. On the left side, click on disk management. Look for your hard drive on the right, and then right click to initialize. (Set as active)

Please tell me if this does anything for you.

lydokane

lydokane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello!

Just a thought for you to check out. Please go to control panel~~>administration tools~~>computer management. On the left side, click on disk management. Look for your hard drive on the right, and then right click to initialize. (Set as active)

Please tell me if this does anything for you.

Doesn't work.

-Lydokane-