Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

clkp

clkp

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello everyone.

I have a custom-made PC Windows XP Pro SP two speed 2500 hdd #1, 80 gig

This machine is clean:

The problem I am having is brand new I have never seen it before. And the tech people I know are
baffled. Maybe someone here can help.
I have a Liteon dvd rw and cd rw combo.everything works fine, I can play DVDs I have been using this rom for several months. In "my computer" Windows recognizes the drive as DVD rw drive F.however when I put in a BLANK DVD disc Windows changes the designation of the drive to cd drive f.this applies to any blank DVD disc I insert. At this point, Windows no longer recognizes the DVD and I cannot download anything to the DVD from my PC via Windows.

I have Nerorom burning and use it to burn DVDs with. And I don't have any trouble with that.why do I need to use Nero on all my burning applications even if I want to save something from my PC? When I first installed the liteon DVD RW Windows recognized it and I could at that time burn to it, any of the information that I wanted that was on my PC , for instance a full backup of my system.I even tried formatting the DVD, but to no avail.(used Nero for this).

So I guess the question is why is Windows changing the designation of my DVD rom to cd and preventing me from writing to my DVD-ROM.

Thank you: CLKP

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would stick with Nero anyway as when you insert a multi-session DVDR data disc it automatically adds the new files in a folder to the existing folder on the disc

Most will change from showing DVDRW Drive to MY Disc etc, but it should not stop you using the DVD Writer

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Are you sure it's not the media you're using?...Sounds like windows is thinking you've inserted a CD instead of a DVD disc. I'm sure the device can write to both...most can..Maybe try a different brand of DVD disc.

Food for thought

clkp

clkp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello again:

I really appreciate your effort and I have to tell you I am such a dummy. I made such a rookie mistake.

I'm trying to make Windows do something that is not designed to do on its own. That's why I need the software Nero. Sheesh.......

In the future, when the new OS comes out from Microsoft ( I think it's going to be called VISTA.) that platform will allow Windows to burn directly to a DVD as it does to a cd without having to resort to some other software such as Nero.

Anyways thanks again.

CLKP