Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't acquire ip

• Please log in to reply

geezer37

geezer37

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My XPhome system cannot get an ip address from the router. I have reset the router, checked that other machines can get an address (including another xphome system), run winsockxpfix, restarted the machine (many times), etc. I can connect if I hardcode a suitable address, but this is a notebook and goes to different sites with wireless. Both ethernet and wireless have the same problem, either will connect with a hardcoded address. Dhcp is enabled on my router (I have tried two routers with the same results), I have tried wireless both with and without WEP enabled. Other machines can use wireless or wired with no trouble.

Please help - I am getting very frustrated, have been working on this problem for several days now and have searched the forums and tried various things without success!!

Thanks!! Geezer37

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi geezer37,
If you have SP2 installed for your WinXP Home the refer the "What Steps Can I Take to Fix This Problem?" section on the following page:
http://www.pchell.co...nectivity.shtml

hazy121

hazy121

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Why not try and get a knoppix live cd and boot from that it is really easy to setup your network from there.Most of the time it is all done for you.At least that would rule out if your operating system is at fault.If its still the same you should then check your hardware as in network card and cabling to start with.

geezer37

geezer37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Darth Ash and hazy121: Thanks for the tips - but no banana yet! I downloaded and ran the microsoft patch, then entered the registry entry, all to no avail.
I actually don't get the limited or no connectivety error. It just endlessly tries to acquire an ip address. If I supply one to either the wireless or ethernet adaptors that one will work fine. I don't think it is a router problem, since other machines acquire ip just fine from the router, both wired and wireless. I have six ethernet and from three to five wireless machines on the network all working OK using 98SE, WIN2Kpro, as well as both XP home and pro. No problems with any of them acquiring addresses and networking fine, so think the problem is with the operating system on this machine.
Keep the suggestions coming - something will work!!
Thanks, geezer37

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi geezer37....

Have you tried:

Click Start then Run and type ipconfig /release and click "Ok".
Click Start then Run and type ipconfig /renew and click "Ok".

wannabe1