Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair Windows visual settings

• Please log in to reply

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, i got rid of all my spywares and viruses but by doing so my some windows files got deleted or broken.... the thing is i don'T have a windows CD... I have a licence of windows XP... but no CD came when i bought my computer... it's in my computer! I think newer computer comes that way now... SO what do i do?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
descrive the visual settings that are lost, or better yet, a screen capture.

Odds are, it is a registry setting and not a file

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I click on start, then click on control panel, then on display... when the window (Display properties) opens, the menu isn't there anymore... the only way i can see it is if i change my Theme, then click on apply, then the menu comes back but the bottom of it still hidden...

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm still waiting on a reply... did you forget about me ?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you say the 'menu isn't there anymore,' do you mean some of the tabs aren't there anymore?

Fenor

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi

Often Windows files to get corrupted in some way or other in the cross-fire between your attempts to get rid of malware and the malware doing what it wants to do.

To fix this go
Start < Run and type sfc /scannow this will give a blue bar, and ask for you Windows XP CD. When it is done reboot. It will have repaired all corrupt files belonging to XP, please tell us if this fixed it.

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yeah well... check out my 1'st post... (I DONT HAVE A WINDOWS CD) Do i need to write an email to windows so they can send me one? I have a license for Windows!

ALEK

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please answer my previous question AlekNoStar. Please take a screenshot so we can see exactly what the problem is.

Thanks,

Fenor

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can you borrow a CD for the day, it will work as long as it is the same service pack.

Please Answer Fenor's questions, I what to know the answer too. To take a screen shot press Ctrl + Print Screen then open paint and press Ctrl + V and save the image as a JPG and attach it to you next reply.

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Here's my screen shoot... as you can see... the menu in the display propreties box isn't there...

P.S No I cannot borrow a CD... I live alone! :tazz:

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen.JPG

Advertisements

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
When i go to C:/WINDOWS theres a folder called (repair) could i go with that to repair what's missing ?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
C:\Windows\repair is not a folder we need to play with, it will not fix this problem.

Do you have any friends with a XP CD? Every one has friends of some kind. I can fix this with out the CD.

You may be able to use System Restore, but lets try and get a XP CD first

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yeah so finally i got myself a CD! I tried doing what you told me Start/Run/ ... (Your code) It scanned but did not ask me for my CD... It was in a Drive... What else can I do? To remind you whats my problem, i have display problem... everything looks Windows 98 now... My Start Menu, my Taskbar.. etc... HELP ME!!!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\restoredisplaytabs.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and see how your display settings are working

Fenor

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
It didn't do anything... i tried the other thing with the CD in, Reboot, ENTER, F8,... etc... when it scans my computer it doesnt see a Windows XP... It sees a PARTITION 1... What's with that i can't repair my Windows only REMOVE the partition...