Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install USB printing device, GOING FN NUTS

• Please log in to reply

Paul C

Paul C

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am going crazy. I had a Brother label printer, usb, and it worked fire for many months. I also have an HP usb printer intalled and no problems there.

One day, the labeler stopped working, no communication. I rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, got the latest from the Brother website, and every time I get "printer could not be installed. please shut down all programs, reboot, and if still persists, contact admin."

I followed every thing that Brother support gave me as well. I took the unit home, and it installed fine on my comp at home, so prob exists on OS. I left that one at home and got another brand new one. Same non-results.

Frustated, I took the Brother back and exchanged it for a Dymo label printer. Same exact results. This message comes up when the drivers for the unit are being installed.

I am in down time now and am ready to throw something through a window. I would gladly update this comp at my shop to XP, but it's not mine and too old anyway.

The frustrating thing is that the original label printer worked fine for months. I haven't installed or removed anything except the printer software. Just one day it stops, and windows won't let me install any new printer.

Driver reg issue?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Paul C...Welcome to G2G!

Your post is a little vague on just what steps were taken with the hardware tech support, so I apologize in advance if you have already done what I'm going to suggest.

Try "Removing" the device(s) in Device Manager (right click on the offending device and choose "Remove" and then reboot the machine...let Windows detect and install the device and it's drivers.

wannabe1

Paul C

Paul C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yep, tried that one. Still get "printer could not be installed. please shut down all programs, reboot, and if still persists, contact admin" when it tries to install the drivers. It's like all of a sudden my comp won't let the drivers be registered.

There is very little I haven't tried.

I will know more tomorrow as to how severe this just may be. I uninstalled my HP usb printer in hopes that if that was gone maybe this other would install. I'm going to be screwed if the HP won't reinstall.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can also unplug any USB leads from the back of the PC, use device manager to uninstall all the USB Devices listed in Universal Serial Bus Controllers and then reboot the PC

During the install, check if the printer should be connected before the drivers are installed, unusual but possible

Paul C

Paul C

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, tried that one too. Now I am trying to resinstall my HP and failing there as well. Looks like it is time to reformat... :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.