Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-RW trouble

• Please log in to reply

hemphillallstar

hemphillallstar

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
A couple of months ago I purchased a Sony DVD-RW DW-D26A, it has been working fine up until about 2 weeks ago. I can burn CD-R's at normal speed but for some reason when i try to burn DVD-R's the speed will never go above 2x. I have tried using different media and also different burning programs but the problem still continues. Also, I've tried to update drivers, but sony doesn't even have the model listed on the website. My friend suggested to me that it might have something to do with windows update since i recently update to sp2( a little late...). Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi hemphillallstar! Welcome to G2G!

What I suggest you do is go to the DEVICE MANAGER (Right Click MY COMPUTER, clck on PROPERTIES, then click on HARDWARE tab and then click on DEVICE MANAGER). Once there, click the '+' symbol next to the DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES, and right click the entry for your Sony DVD-RW DW-D265 and choose UNINSTALL. Then reboot your computer and let Windows re-detect and install the drivers for it.

Fenor

hemphillallstar

hemphillallstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for replying...

I've tried uninstalling the device and restarting, problem still persists. While test burning, I noticed that the buffer level kept jumping from the 90% range to about the 25% range... dunno if this info helps or not.

OhioStateBoy710

OhioStateBoy710

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

A couple of months ago I purchased a Sony DVD-RW DW-D26A, it has been working fine up until about 2 weeks ago. I can burn CD-R's at normal speed but for some reason when i try to burn DVD-R's the speed will never go above 2x. I have tried using different media and also different burning programs but the problem still continues. Also, I've tried to update drivers, but sony doesn't even have the model listed on the website. My friend suggested to me that it might have something to do with windows update since i recently update to sp2( a little late...). Thanks in advance

Hey!
What I have learned is that CD rom drives typically don't get worse over time mechanically. Its a either they work, or they don't. What I tihnk you need to do is go to any retail store and purchase a can of compressed air. Spray it into the drive at such an angle all the dirt and dust flies out. Just remember to not turn upside down or else it might produce moisture. Good Luck!

hemphillallstar

hemphillallstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tried cleaning with air duster... no success.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you updated your chipset drivers lately?

Fenor

hemphillallstar

hemphillallstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Chipset drivers are current.

hemphillallstar

hemphillallstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So any ideas ?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Could be possibel you are using DVD+R discs when your DVD burner only supports DVD-R discs.

Fenor

hemphillallstar

hemphillallstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Burner is compatible with both +R and -R, have tried both... same problem

Advertisements

hemphillallstar

hemphillallstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just an update...

I've recently noticed that while in the Nero burning program, when I don't have any dvd-r media in the drive, the selectable speeds for burning are only 1x, 2x, and 2.4x. Dunno if this helps or not...

hemphillallstar

hemphillallstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just an update...

I've recently noticed that while in the Nero burning program, when I don't have any dvd-r media in the drive, the selectable speeds for burning are only 1x, 2x, and 2.4x. Dunno if this helps or not...

sonofswift

sonofswift

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have you checked whether your ide channel is set to DMA or PIO mode? I've noticed on my PC that if it crashes or I reset it that my secondary ide channel, which has my dvd drive attached, has reset itself to PIO mode. Then it runs very slow and I get all sorts of problems burning and even listening to CDs.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
you're not using dual layer discs are you? because they dont burn any faster than 2.4x !!!!!

my pioneer dvr-109bk drive only burns at 2.7x speed when i use 8x -r discs, dont know why, it used to go up to like 7.6x, but i'm too lazy to find out, and i dont want to bother anyone else

i'm insterested if anyone finds a solution to fix your drive, it might help mine.

hemphillallstar

hemphillallstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
the device is set to use DMA if available, and is using PIO mode. the other device on that IDE channel is using DMA mode though. is there any way i can manually set it to DMA?