Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:39 PM
Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:06 PM
When you installed the heatsink originally, what did you use by way of thermal compounds?
Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:15 PM
I used the white thermal compound that came with the fan.
Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:05 PM
Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:57 PM
I suggest you try the following :
1. Get some really good thermal compound (such as Artic silver)
2. Get an appropriate solvent (rubbing alcohol or Articlean from Artic Silver)
3. Make sure the cpu is cool then remove the heatsink & scrap off the thermal paste from the heatsink & cpu. Next clean off the remainder from the heatsink & the cpu using the solvent & a lint-free cloth.
4. Make sure everything is bone dry then apply a small blob of the new paste onto the case of the heatsink (no more than a pea sized blob)
5. Wear surgical gloves or use a plastic bag over your hand & rub the paste over the heatsink.
6. Next, using a clean lint-free cloth, remove the fresh paste from the heatsink by rubbing. Do not scrap it off or use any solvents
7. Allpy a tiny blob (size of a grain of rice) to the die of the cpu.
8. Use either the edge of a clean credit card or razor blade to scrape the paste over the die evenly.
9. Reattach the heatsink to the cpu.
Also ensure that the system is not overclocked & the vcore voltage is correct for your cpu.
If you still have problems with it running hot, I suggest either getting a larger heatsink or installing more case fans. Make sure one of the case fans blows over the cpu & check the air circulation in the case.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users