Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble with Radeon 9250 PCI

• Please log in to reply

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey everybody,
I purchased a video card through NewEgg.com a couple weeks ago, installation went fine, no problems, until I started playing with some of the features it offered. I have a single monitor on my computer, and I was just messing around with the settings that allowed me to display onto two monitors, and now if I start my computer with my video card installed, I can't access the Start button, and many other problems with display are occuring. I'll try and put together a detailed list of everything that's screwy when my card is in, but I need to know if anybody can help me first.

Many thanks,

Zertec :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi emp_zertec!

Wolverine is one bad *** dude! :tazz:

As for your problem, can you see the TASK MANAGER when you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL? If you can, click on FILE and then click on NEW TASK. In the box that appears, type in: control This will open the control panel. Once there, double click on the icon related to ATI CONTROL PANEL or something similar and look around those settings and you should be able to change your display back to only viewing on one monitor.

Fenor

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hehe, yeah, no one can mess with Wolverine!
I've got it back to just my one monitor, but when I have my vid card in, the start button doesn't show up, the mouse stops at the monitor's edges on the left, top, bottom, but when i move to the right side of the monitor, it just leaves the screen, I don't know how long it extends over that direction. In my Display-->Settings tab, I only have this one monitor enabled. Would uninstalling everything ATI amend my problem? Right now my vid card is out of the PCI slot and sitting atop my printer, but as any gamer would know, I'd rather have it back in the case working it's butt off!

Thanks for the quick reply,

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you see the clock on the bottom right of the screen? Because it sounds like you got your screen to only appear on one monitor, but you still have two monitors enabled.

Fenor

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Good morning Fenor :tazz:
No, when my vid card is in, I cannot see my clock.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Morning :tazz:

Try going into the DEVICE MANAGER (Right click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, then click on the HARDWARE tab and then click the DEVICE MANAGER button) and click the '+' symbol next to DISPLAY ADAPTERS. Then right click the entry for RADEON 9250 SECONDARY and choose disable. Then reboot your computer.

Fenor

P.S. -- I have a computer with a RADEON 9800 Pro in it that I have to install the newest drivers to today, I will try to mess it up so it's on two monitors like yours and then fix it and post back how you do it so that you can then re-enable the item we just disabled in the device manager.

Edited by Fenor, 13 October 2005 - 07:30 AM.

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Geez man, don't go screwing up your computer just to help me! I mean that's almost extreme, but thanks for doing so if you're confident enough you can pull your system back together. Thanks, will do as you requested.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Geez man, don't go screwing up your computer just to help me! I mean that's almost extreme, but thanks for doing so if you're confident enough you can pull your system back together. Thanks, will do as you requested.

It's not my computer it's a customer's, so I really don't care about messing it up. It's already messed up hence why he brought it in for me to fix!

:) :woot: :woot:

Fenor

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hehehe, oh man, hope the customer doesn't know about that!
Anyway, disabling the secondary (why are there two when I only have the one vid card?) seems to have done it, it's just my max resolution that my monitor seems to be able to handle is 1024x768, even though the option to go up to 2048x756 is there, is that because my monitor can only handle so many pixels? I mean if i set it to something like 1600x1200, all the pixels are there, but my screen scrolls to the left and right to display them all. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to live with 1024 resolution.

Thanks a million! (unless we're not done just yet)

Also, now that I have the vid card in, if I were to have my display run through my vid card (plug the VGA cord into my card instead of the mobo) would that affect it's performance?

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Oh, and on startup, this displays, don't know if this'll effect anything much, just a sidenote.

Thanks Fenor,

Zertec :tazz:Attached File  ati3.bmp   461.79KB   247 downloadsAttached File  ati3.bmp   461.79KB   247 downloads

Edited by emp_zertec, 13 October 2005 - 08:41 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Hehehe, oh man, hope the customer doesn't know about that!
Anyway, disabling the secondary (why are there two when I only have the one vid card?) seems to have done it, it's just my max resolution that my monitor seems to be able to handle is 1024x768, even though the option to go up to 2048x756 is there, is that because my monitor can only handle so many pixels? I mean if i set it to something like 1600x1200, all the pixels are there, but my screen scrolls to the left and right to display them all. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to live with 1024 resolution.

Thanks a million! (unless we're not done just yet)

Also, now that I have the vid card in, if I were to have my display run through my vid card (plug the VGA cord into my card instead of the mobo) would that affect it's performance?

Yes, most likely your monitor can only handle the maximum resolution of 1024x768.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would suggest that you go HERE and download the most recent Catalyst drivers for your card.

Re-enable the SECONDARY monitor BEFORE running this file though.

Fenor

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello again,
Were the new drivers supposed to fix that startup error about the ATI Display control panel? If it was, it didn't, I recieved the same message at startup.

P.S. Both 'atiptaxx' and 'Ati2mdxx' are enabled for startup in the system Configuration Utility. Now that I've run the updates for my drivers, do I need to once again disable the secondary monitor? Would I follow that process (enable, install, disable) every time I update?

Edited by emp_zertec, 13 October 2005 - 11:18 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
No, keep it enabled. I said for you to have it enabled BEFORE you install the new drivers.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Hello again,
Were the new drivers supposed to fix that startup error about the ATI Display control panel? If it was, it didn't, I recieved the same message at startup.

If you are still getting this error, then I suggest you go to the CONTROL PANEL and click CHANGE/REMOVE for the program ATI UNINSTALL UTILITY. This will remove everything related to ATI, and will then ask you to reboot. Once rebooted, reboot again to get a clean boot. Then install the newest drivers again.

Of course if you get the same error message AFTER uninstall the ATI UNINSTALL UTILITY, then please post back here and stop folowing the rest of the directions I have given in this post.

Fenor