Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Links Not Responding When Clicked

• Please log in to reply

squiggles21

squiggles21

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi,

I am running Windows 98SE with a broadband connection. For some reason over the past few weeks my Internet Explorer seems to lock up sometimes when I click a link on a web page or an icon on a web page. It kind of stalls, and the little globe stops spinning then in a few minutes the page will either pop up or you hear a click and I'm back at the same page I was on and nothing else happens. If I click the link or icon again the same thing happens. If I just click on a favorites link that page will come on.

This problem only seems to occur when I click on a link from a web page that I am already viewing.

If I try to do the same thing on the same page through my AOL it works fine.

I even deleted my pop up blocker program, thinking that it might be the problem, but it is still the same.

Is there anything else I can check or do to help this problem? It did work before and works in AOL so I know something must have gotten changed somehow recently.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ira :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi squiggles21!

If I try to do the same thing on the same page through my AOL it works fine.

Can you please tell me who is the provider for your broadband service and if it isn't AOL, then why do you still have AOL installed on your computer? AOL is known to 'take over' Internet Explorer and as such can cause many of the problems with which you are describing.

Fenor

squiggles21

squiggles21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
My broadband provider is Optimum Online from Cablevision. I have had it for years with no problem. I have also had AOL for years and use that mostly for everything, e-mail, etc. Of course I go on Internet Explorer all the time too, but this problem has only recently started.

Any suggestions? Should something be enabled or disabled somewhere?

It does not happen on all web pages all the time, only some web pages.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you done any malware scans to see if your computer is infected? If you haven't, then I suggest that you head on over HERE and run the self-help tools available there. If you are still having problems after using those tools and running the scans, then please post a HiJackThis log in the Malware Forum.

If you are still having problems, after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread so we can consider other options to help you resolve this problem.

Good luck!

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 October 2005 - 07:33 PM.

squiggles21

squiggles21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have Ad aware and spybot and use them often. Ad Aware found something called Alexa so I deleted that along with the usual cookies and stuff it finds.

Spybot found the same thing, so I told it to fix the problem and immunized the system.

Should I do anything else now?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try the following:

1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Go to Tools / Internet Options
3. Click on the Programs tab
4. Click on the Reset Web Settings button

Fenor

squiggles21

squiggles21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
OK. I'll give that a try, but should that not work, what would you suggest I try next?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
We'll cross that bridge if need be but for now just try my suggestion. :tazz:

Fenor