Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows xp cd key

• Please log in to reply

drunkenhippo

drunkenhippo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I recently got a virus on my computer and decided to reinstally my operating system. After i reninstalled, however, and tried to activate xp, it said that my cd key was invalid. What do I do?

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go! :tazz:
You may have to call Microsoft about that. It should work, though. Did you install XP on another computer and activate it, or change a lot of hardware since you last activated?

Edited by Pi rules, 12 October 2005 - 07:08 PM.

drunkenhippo

drunkenhippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I recently got a virus on my computer and decided to reinstally my operating system. After i reninstalled, however, and tried to activate xp, it said that my cd key was invalid. What do I do?

yea...i changed the video card. and i called microsoft, they told me to enter the PRODUCT CODE and i did it like 5 times, but it said it was an invalid PRODUCT CODE

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Does this happen when you are trying to install XP (while entering the product key) or after you install and try to activate?

Only changing the video card shouldn't do anything to the activation code.
Are you sure the CD and product was from that computer?

PS: I've got to go soon, sorry.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Where did you get your XP cd from??

Murray

drunkenhippo

drunkenhippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Does this happen when you are trying to install XP (while entering the product key) or after you install and try to activate?

Only changing the video card shouldn't do anything to the activation code.
Are you sure the CD and product was from that computer?

PS: I've got to go soon, sorry.

I got it from this computer...it even worked the first time i tried activating it. Now it's invalid...curse you bill

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Howdy:

Where did you get your XP cd from??

Murray

I repeat.. Where did you get your XP cd from??

Murray

drunkenhippo

drunkenhippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I repeat.. Where did you get your XP cd from??

Murray

I got it with the computer

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is this an original XP cd or a copy??

Is your system a branded system - Dell, HP, Compaq, etc?? That would make a difference as well..

Murray

drunkenhippo

drunkenhippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Unfortunately, you seem to be a tad evasive here..

Is this an original XP cd or a copy??

Is your system a branded system - Dell, HP, Compaq, etc?? That would make a difference as well..

Murray

no, no its the original, not a copy

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

yea...i changed the video card. and i called microsoft, they told me to enter the PRODUCT CODE and i did it like 5 times, but it said it was an invalid PRODUCT CODE

I'd call again and activate it over the phone. They should help you sort out your issue.

drunkenhippo

drunkenhippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I'd call again and activate it over the phone. They should help you sort out your issue.

i tried that, some bot came up and led me through this elaborate process, then told me my product code was invalid...the freakin product code for the computer printed on the side!!! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should select activate by phone, or if you choose activate by internet, when it does not work it will ask you to hold while they put you through to an advisor

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Again, is this a branded system - Dell, HP, Compaq or custom made??

The problem is that these systems use a Volume License to install XP and it is NOT the one that is stuck to your computer case!!

You need to speak to a REAL person at Microsoft, explain what you did and give them the key code on your computer case!!

Murray

drunkenhippo

drunkenhippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Again, is this a branded system - Dell, HP, Compaq or custom made??

The problem is that these systems use a Volume License to install XP and it is NOT the one that is stuck to your computer case!!

You need to speak to a REAL person at Microsoft, explain what you did and give them the key code on your computer case!!

Murray

When i call, i don't have the option of choosing between a real person and a bot