Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application Menues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have just completed reformatting my HD and reinstalling the OS yet again after an amazing 12 months relatively trouble free, (pprior to that i had to perform this procedure on a regular basis often twice a month.

Anyway I've just got done installing all my apps and besides the OS being slower than a a 3 legged tortoise I get memory messages with only one application open. I recently upgraded the memory from 512Mb to 2Gb as I run a lot of Graphics applications and Web Design apps. Incredible to think I can barely open photoshop on its own while mac users can run the whole sweet at once on a fraction of the memory.

What is bugging me most of all though is that on just about every non-Microsoft application I open these days My menu bars are all corrupted. Instead of being black text on Grey (I use the XP Silver Theme) I get white instead of grey and often a checkerboard effect when I roll over. - In short another Micro$oft wonder!!!

They know what they can do with 'Longhorn or 'vista' for that matter (and definitely not sell it!!!) - Where the sun dont shine, springs to mind.

Well I h'ope someone on these boards might be able to help me resolve this, I'll be watching for your posts.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi blackbeard,

Please reword the topic title and underlying message to something more appropriate. Thanks.

Now do your dilemma, it may be possible that you are missing drivers for some of your hardware. Right click on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, then click on the HARDWARE tab and click the DEVICE MANAGER button. Let me know if there is anything with a yellow exclamation/question mark next to it.

Fenor

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry if the wording offends some people - I think it's strong but not offensive/bad language and certainly appropriate to the [$bleeping]Micro$oft Organization!

Re Topic. Nope all drivers present and accounted for.

I just Downloaded the WinPatrol. The others mentioned on the welcome page I have had for quite some time - I used to advise on this forum about a year back when I had some time. Thing is I don't have a clue about start up services and it seems the only way you're gonna get info on what should be switched on and what should be switched off is by buying the Pro service (The usual story). I for one will never pay for these services again as they tend to bleed you of hard-earned cash and give precious little back in return. Anyways maybe we can discuss this later on.

Thanks for the quick reply - but doesn't appear at first glance to be driver related. I had thoughts that ot might have been direct X related and downloaded 9.0c last night just to be on the seafe side. But it was not the culprit!

Pls let me know

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
By services do you mean Windows Services? If so, check out this link.

Fenor

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello. I edited your topic title and description. This is a family friendly forum. I understand your frustration, but please refrain from using swear words on the boards!

Thank you :tazz:

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Kat,

Please refer to my earlier response, Apologies if any offenvce caused but I do not consider the wording used as either offensive of a swear word. It's open to interpretation but please look up the word in the Oxford or better still The Chambers English Dictionary. I guess there are regional variations as to understanding of the word usage.

I will try to refrain from such conflicting wording henceforth if it helps. After all I'm here to ask for help as I have been here to give it in the past and do not want to feel like the bad boy in the classroom.

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Fenor,

Yes I do mean windows services and start up programs. Thank You for the link.

Any further thoughts as to what might be affecting the Application menus. I dread the thought of having to spend another week or more repeating the whole preocedure yet again only to be met with the same end results.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Kat,

Please refer to my earlier response, Apologies if any offenvce caused but I do not consider the wording used as either offensive of a swear word. It's open to interpretation but please look up the word in the Oxford or better still The Chambers English Dictionary. I guess there are regional variations as to understanding of the word usage.

I will try to refrain from such conflicting wording henceforth if it helps. After all I'm here to ask for help as I have been here to give it in the past and do not want to feel like the bad boy in the classroom.

It's not whether YOU consider it offensive, it's whether SOMEONE ELSE might consider it offensive, but it's no big deal just don't do it again. Now lets get on solving your problem. :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
By just finished completely reformatting my hard drive and installing windows, do you mean you just did it today or last week, two weeks ago......??

Fenor

blackbeard

blackbeard

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Here's one for You.

Since you all seem to think you're better educated than everyone else. Did you bother to take the time my advice and look the word up even? Chances are you're american and don't speak english in any case.

As I thought this forum has gone downhill and I tried to do my best to diffuse the siuation. Guess I'm dealing with ignorant people here (Kind of explains the war in Iraq too)

For What it's worth this forum's a waste of time and t seems is moderators and senior members here these days have nothing better to do that lecture people.

Well there's greener pastures out there I'll have you all know and I'll tsake my enquiries where I'm welcome and people don't nit-pick over debatable issues.

Just so as not to leave you on a note of confusion I'll gve you something you can edit til the cows come home if you like and it definitely fits into your narrow definitios as to what might or might not be considered swearword or offensive language.

[bleep] you all you nobrainers - You're about as much use to the computing community as Bill Gates or an abcess on a dog turd!

Go Figure!!!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello Blackbeard. That post above was uncalled for. The "language" I was referring to was what you had posted in your topic title. Spelling a curse word improperly to get around the badword filter we have installed is just plain rude, and wrong. After I nicely asked you to refrain from using such language, you proceeded to slam myself, my Staff, and our Site. Everyone here works very hard on their own time, for free I'm sorry you feel as though this site is "slipping" in some way. Funny thing, every single day we get even more new members, and even larger amounts of posted topics. We help thousands of people per month here. That seems pretty darn good to me.

Your post has earned your removal from GeekU, as well as a 3 day suspension from this site. I hope after that time, you will come back and become a productive contributing member of the site.

Kat